Friday, September 2, 2022

I Want to Be Her When I Grow Up!

 I discovered Iris Apfel some years back and loved her gutsy way of life. I think I want to be like her when I grow up. Her birthday was on August 29th and I meant to post this then and didn't. I don't know if she is still living or not but knowing Iris... I'd put money on her still being around. (she was born in 1921)

I saw this (gee, I don't know what you call them, memes, graphics, what!) and wanted to share it with you. And, I edited (to make them shorter) her 10 rules for living a great life. 


She always wears these Huge glasses and extra large gaudy accessories. But, the woman was famous in the textile world and had a contract with the White House that spanned over nine presidents! 


1. Don’t obsess over your age

“I never think about my age. It’s just a number.

 “Gettin’ old ain’t for sissies,” Apfel admits. But so what? “You start falling apart, but you just have to buck up and paste yourself together. You may not like getting older, but what’s the alternative? You’re here. Embrace it. I say put your experience to work, to give something back to other people.” 

2. Pick a partner who celebrates your successes

“Everyone he ever touched knows he was truly a Gentle Man,” Apfel writes of Carl, who died in 2015 at the age of 100. “His humor and generosity were legendary. We did almost everything together. He pushed me into the limelight and then basked in my success. He got much more of a kick from the accolades I received than I did.” 

3. When something excites you, go for it

“I never expected people to know my name or recognize my face. I never expected to be called a fashion icon. I never expected museums to exhibit my clothing and accessories. I never expected to be a cover girl or the face of a cosmetics company in my nineties....” Apfel writes. “I never expected anything. I just feel things in my gut and I do them. If something sounds exciting and interesting I do it. Most people would rather just go with the flow; it’s much easier. But it’s not very interesting.”

4. “To stay young, you have to think young”

If you want to stay young, you have to think young. Having a sense of wonder, a sense of humor, and a sense of curiosity — these are my tonic,” she says. “They keep you young, childlike, open to new people and things, ready for another adventure. 

5. Care about your own opinion above anyone else’s

“If you have to be all things to all people, you end up being ‘nothin’ to nobody.′ The way I dress may be ‘different’ or ‘eccentric’ to some who feel the need to label, but that’s of no concern to me. I don’t dress to be stared at; I dress for myself. When you don’t dress like everyone else, you don’t have to think like everyone else.” 

6. But don’t isolate yourself, either

'if you don’t try to be part of things, forget it. That’s when your originality is going to work against you. Fit in first and then step out. There is a difference between being perceived of as original and being accepted, even loved for it, and being perceived as different and resented for it. You can have your cake and eat it, too.” 

7. Money doesn’t buy success

“If you’re happy, have found love, are surrounded by good people, doing what you like and giving back to others, that’s success. 

8. Style is not about spending money

“It’s not what you wear but how you wear it.

“I’m just as happy to wear bangles that cost me three dollars as I am to wear valuable pieces — and I like to mix high and low, putting things together to wear as the spirit moves me. When you try to hard to have style, you look uncomfortable, If you’re uptight, you won’t be able to carry off even a seemingly perfect outfit. If that’s happening, I say abandon the whole thing. It’s better to be happy than well dressed.”

9. Start new endeavors with one small step

“You only fail if you do not try,” says Apfel. 

“I never thought that I couldn’t do something because I was a woman.  Sometimes you just have to take action, even if it is a small step. In my ninety-some years of walking planet Earth, I have applied this philosophy to living — and dressing — and it has never steered me wrong.”

10. Don’t pretend you are younger than you are

“There’s nothing wrong with wrinkles. When you’re older, trying to look years younger is foolish, and you’re not fooling anyone. When you’re seventy-five and you get a face-lift, nobody is going to think you are thirty,” she says. 

(edited from CNBC.com)

8 comments:

  1. Great advice! We must be thankful and celebrate each day God gives us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked her up - she is still living. And her husband lived to be 100!
    Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t mind getting older. It’s just part of life so embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a legend. I am doing a couple of things well. The rest? Pffttt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From what I looked up, she turned 101 this august!!!!!!!

    And yes, she is a Unique Individual!!! Love her ability to live/dress, just as she pleases.

    Also love her attitude of, look your age! All this Botox and face lifts and stuff, is silly to me. Who are you going to fool?????????? HoHoHo!

    Her must wonderful and lucky aspect, is her continuing health, which allows her to enjoy a great quality of life.

    Keep going, Iris!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To stay young, think young...I love what she said about that! How inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I want to be like her when I grow up too! Not caring what other people think is so freeing. It's actually sad to see so many famous people try so hard to stay young and relevant, what a waste of time, unless it brings them great joy, I guess. I personally never want to lose my excitement over the little things in life.
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post at the right moment
    Bookmarked for future pick me ups
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.