Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Barn Play

Did you ever play in a barn when you were young?

I did! I'd crawl up the ladder to the loft there the hay was stored. There was a musty smell with the straw all strown about. It was my hide-away.

It's a wonder I didn't burn the barn down, though!

There was a weed that grew in the fields around the barn. It had small whitish leaves on it and my playmate and I decided we'd take some of those leaves, some pieces of paper and a box of matches up to the loft one day. 

We tore that paper into rectangles, placed some of those leaves on one side, rolled it up and struck a match to it. We thought we were so grown-up! We were smoking!

As you might guess the 'cigarettes' didn't last long... and neither did our adventure of smoking. 

But, can you imagine what could have happened if we had started a fire! I probably couldn't sit down to this very day for the paddling I'd have gotten. 




       None of the above barns were part of my childhood. 


5 comments:

  1. No barn play for me. No barns where I grew up.
    I played in the woods near my home. There was a lake and brook and trails.
    Love all the barn photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, we definitely played in a barn at my cousin's house, right up on Owasco Lake in the Finger Lakes. The farmer didn't even know we were playing in there...wait, there were seven of us and eight cousins, so he might have had an inkling ha. We didn't try to burn it down like you did, but we certainly had fun playing in the hay. :)
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, no barn play for me, Latane. I grew up in the residential area of a NJ city with nit a single barn in the area. Glad you didn’t burn that barn down as a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! 😳 Yes, you reminded me of many happy hours spent playing in a barn. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I played in a barn and that barn is still standing. But I didn’t smoke there😂. Enjoy this beautiful day dear friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.