Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Holey, Stinky Socks

 Did you ever hear the saying (or was it a line in a song?) that went something like this?

                   'I went to the well and the well was dry.'

That's been me lately. I'm full of stories but my creative juices have just dried up. I have to get them going again...

             So, that said, there is no telling where this post is going!!! 

I had a good Mother's Day. It's special being a mother. So, I guess I'll tell a story about my first born who is now 71 years old. Good Lord! Did I just say that!! But, it's true. 

Anyway, I had my first child (a little girl named Marie) in Alabama while my husband was off fighting in the Korean 'Conflict'. His ship was due to arrive back in San Diego in April so my 3 month old and I (now a ripe old age of 18) made arrangements to fly out so Daddy could meet his baby girl. 

I'd never flown before and I wasn't sure about the whole thing. I mean, how does a big heavy thing like a plane filled with big heavy people get up in the air and stay there? I didn't want to act like the country bumpkin that I was so I crawled on board and sat down in my seat. 


The plane took off and I thought, 'hey this isn't so bad. We haven't fallen out of the sky yet.' But, I would not get out of my seat. I was afraid of walking around in the plane! 

Once I settled down I took a peek at the people around me.. I was two seats back from the bulkhead on the right side and there was a man 1st row from the bulkhead on the left side. He had his feet propped up on the rail, shoes off and there was a big hole in his sock. Poor fellow. Then he turned his head and I saw who it was....

I know most of you are not old enough to remember William Bendix, actor of screen and tv. but, it was him. My first celebrity and he's got HOLEY socks. Well, just goes to show you that even famous people don't always have the know how on how to mend socks. Gee, if I'd had a needle and thread... but then who wants to mend stinky socks. 

Y'all Come Back Now!!

12 comments:

  1. The Life of Reilly that's how we know William Bendix. It's one of my husband's favorite old time radio shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea who that fellow is/was but it is interesting that he couldn't find a decent pair of socks. Or at least keep his shoes on. LOL GM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I remember Life of Riley in the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great story! I don't know who he was, but I suppose we can all relate to holey socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's hysterical! ... not WB's holey socks, but your thought processes about flying. Must admit, I've harbored the same thoughts. Have you ever heard of a (self-help) book, "White Knuckles"? It's so funny. Here's an excerpt I shared in a post a few years ago: "No use dressing for success if you’re going to cringe like a whipped dog for two hours. I tried to look bored. (Now, it’s hard to look bored when you are jerking in your seat at every bump as if you have been slipped twenty volts). So, I tried to look bored, but energetic. When I finally could not, possibly, under any circumstances, sit there one second longer, I’d pat back a little yawn, stroll to the bathroom – and make deals with God. In the toilets of major airlines I have fervently renounced every sin in my life.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember him well!! What fun that must have been!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I remember William Bendix. Loved his show on television. I admire your courage in flying with a baby cross country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! You were a young mother! I remember William Bendix, though never watched him on television. I think we listened to the show on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute story and I bet it was a joyful reunion with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful story, a bit romantic, too! Thank you!!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a cute story!! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I recognize his name. Flying used to be okay, like riding in a bus with two exciting moments: take-off and landing. Now planes are so crowded they make buses seem luxurious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.