Sunday, October 17, 2021

If You Can't Cry, Laugh!

                                 I'm just wondering how my sister is doing today.                                    

                                She's 9 years older than me so that makes her 96. 


We live about 800 miles apart and talk nearly every day. I couldn't reach her one day last week but thought she was just downstairs at her living facility playing blackjack. She loves that game. 

Then her daughter called and told me that Sis was in the hospital. She'd had a light stroke and Afib. They were supposed to move her to rehab day before yesterday but I haven't heard for sure.

                         I know, you all are saying 'why don't you call and find out?' 

My poor niece (she's 76) (Sis's only daughter) has had her hands full. I don't want to add to her burden. 

Now, my sister and I are some years apart in age and we are very different in personality. I'm pretty laid back (well, except when I got mad at my waiter at Santa Fe the other day) but she is the type who has to know everything that is going on and doesn't mind sharing it with anybody she runs across. She tends to be bossy and she is a complainer big time. I don't know of a single meal they have served at her place that she didn't find something wrong with it. She's lived there 7 years. That's a lot of meals.

Anyway, I had to laugh at this. One night at the hospital, she refused to take her blood pressure meds so naturally her blood pressure shot up. So, they gave it to her in her IV. Later on she got all upset and told the nurse to tell that doctor he'd better learn how to give her her meds, that he didn't know what he was doing. Poor doctor, poor nurse. 

She has this little dog and I know it's company for her. Where she lives she can have a dog. But, if you fall, it's either two or three times, then you get moved to asst. living and thus... the dog wouldn't be allowed. She's had several falls, some pretty severe but she tells them that she's sick so they will bring her food to her room and then the staff won't see all the bruises when she goes down to the dining room. Clever thinking, I think. But, I know she needs more care than she is getting. It's just convincing her. 

Every Fall, on every Friday she calls me to find out what station and time 'our' football games are going to be played on Sat. My tv provider is not the same as hers so I have to do research so I can tell her where to find her game! I told her to use her tv screen guide but she has no clue. She told me that my giving her that information was my job now. But, of course she didn't call this Friday. Poor thing missed out on Bama and Auburn both winning! I cheered for the both of us. 

I guess you'd just have to know her to find this funny. Don't think that I am not aware that meds and being ill can make you do weird things. I hope you don't think I am being insensitive. I love my sister and miss her.

I learned when my husband had alzheimers that if you didn't find humor in bad situations, you were sunk. We all need to laugh and goodness knows, with the past year or two and all it's trials, there's been little to laugh about. 


5 comments:

  1. Humor is a stress reducer. When things seem hopeless, I look for a comedy to watch. Or sit in the park and watch little ones play, or watching my animals - they can always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latane, my sister was 9 years older than me too. I'm 76, so she would be 86 this January if she'd lived. She died at 51. Still miss her. Glad you still have your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that she is in a place that gives her good care though she may not appreciate it. At least it removes one worry factor for you and her daughter. Humor is what keeps us sane. Often, it may take a bit of time but eventually the smiles come:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting facts on your sister - who is an amazing age! I'm hoping she recovers and can return to her home, and that the two of you will spend some time together again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin and I are in our eighties. I called her two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for her to call me back. I love her so I guess I'll give in and call her again. Maybe you could just call and ask how your sister is. It will make her day (even if she won't say so). You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.