Sunday, October 31, 2021

Guava Jelly

 The other day I had guava jelly on my mind. Could not stop thinking about it! So, I got online and ordered me two small jars. I hadn't tasted any in a hundred years. The package came yesterday. I ripped right into it and brought out two small jars of jewel like jelly. 


I held the open jar up to my nose. Hmmmm. Even though I caught the faint aroma of guava, I was disappointed. It did not come close to the heavenly aroma we used to have as we drove along the roads of Mt. Tantulus on Oahu. Hubby was stationed there and on a Sunday afternoon we'd pile into our car and head out exploring. One of my favorite places was Mt. Tantulus. The narrow road was lined with foliage. Tall guava trees and other ones I don't remember what they were and underneath heavy vegetation of Ginger Lily. It was like being in a perfume factory. 


The guava fruit would fall from the trees, splat on the roadway then were run over by cars. The aroma was unbelievable. 


But, my jelly just didn't have that much of a scent. Could it be that I had not remembered correctly. Nope, that memory is very distinct. 

                                                                   And, then it hit me. 

When you get old, a lot of things go wrong. My smeller seems to have gone on strike. I just don't smell things like I used to. But, oh, I'll eat my jelly on a hot roll dripping with butter and my memory will give me that heavenly aroma I remember from so long ago. 




3 comments:

  1. I agree, as we get older, our smeller doesn't work the same anymore. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have done it. I too like guava jelly but I adore guava paste. I have to order it and will do it right away. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this kind of jelly, but it sure is pretty! Did you used to live near Charlottesville? I have read that our sense of smell is not as good as we age. And mine and my husband's are quite different as well. Maybe it depends on the shape of your nose...ha ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.