Monday, October 18, 2021

A Date Is A Date!!

Things happen when you finally decide to clean out a drawer (or a closet or behind the couch). 

There in the middle of a bunch of nothing important was this little red book. I'd totally forgotten all about it but sometime after I turned 80, I had ordered it from Amazon.

                                                I thought the name so befitting!   



I want to share one of Judith's poems with all of you.

---------------------------------------------

Fifty Years Later

Each morning we brush side by side in our double-sink bathroom,
And, share Metamucil along with our Multi-grain toast.
We search yet again through the house for our disappeared glasses
So we can read all the bad news in the Times and the Post.

He's 9:45 and I'm 10 at the dermatologist,
Which we'll follow by grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.
Tomorrow we'll sign up for classes in senior Pilates,
Then it's off to Assisted Living to see Cousin Rose.

Together we meet with our broker to get reassurance
That we'll die before there's no money to cover our bills.
Then we meet with our tax accountant to check on our broker.
Then we meet with our lawyer to write a few codicils.

He knows when he goes for his CAT scan that I'll gladly take him.
I know when I go for some blood work he'll come and he'll wait.
These are not like those torrid times on that beach in New Jersey,
But a date IS a date.

Judith Viorst

7 comments:

  1. I do like that. It fits with what I've been thinking recently. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a vary good poem. I think she authored some children's books too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful look at an age I have worn for the past two years. Looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cute poem, especially the last sentence. Bitter sweet for me as a widow though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All SO true at this age - and of course a bit scary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, each age and stage! Nice find!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.