Wednesday, January 17, 2024

What is Age? Just a Number!


 
Yesterday's dr. appt was interesting. My surgeon sent me to a radiation therapist.
 

Having breast cancer has been quite the journey and I did worry about 'what if it came back?' sort of thing. I feel very good about decisions I made during the appt. and am so ready to feel easier about the whole process.

This week sometime I will be given my first appt. to start radiation. I will get 20 sessions (5 days a week for one month). I'm good with that. And, hey, it's wintertime. What else was I gonna do with staying indoors during these cold months. Right? 

Now, on to other things. I felt so good when I woke up this morning. Each morning I write in my journal my thoughts of the previous day. Do you keep a journal? I have for most of my years. 

Anyway, I wrote 'I don't feel 90. I don't look 90. I don't act 90. So, today I am 70!' I think that each day I will choose an age I want to be for that day. Days I might not feel as well I could be 95 or 100. Days I am really 'on my game' I could be 60 or younger. I think this will be fun, choosing my age each morning and acting that way all day. 

We (Shirley and I) have decided that we will do something very special every month this year. Something I want to do and haven't. Or something very different and not usually done by people my age. Oh, I forgot. I am 70 today. This project will be a hoot and I can't wait to get started. Do any of you have any suggestions that I might try. Here are some ideas we are tooling around with.

1. Learn to eat with chopsticks

2. Surf fishing

3. lazy river tubing

4. maybe zip lining (we'll have to see about that one)

5. sledding in the snow

6. a ride in  snow in a horse drawn sleigh

7. Try strange, new dishes

8. Searching for sea glass    etc,, etc. 

Now, don't you all go suggesting I go sky-diving or wind-surfing. That 'ain't' gonna happen. 😁

My granddaughter skydiving. Not me, for sure!

Take care and if you are in this really cold weather most of the U. S. is experiencing, please be careful, stay warm, stay well.. Have a cup of hot tea and think of me. Love you all. 

18 comments:

  1. Happy 70th!
    Wonderful post, makes me smile
    Sledding. I just took my sled out of the cupboard. I keep a plastic sled for carrying groceries in the winter. And, to hopefully go sledding some day.
    70 is a good number. I think I will be 70 on the day I go sledding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun you are having! I think you could ID a bird...new or old and then do a little sketch of the bird. I would love to do this too this year! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY daughter in law's 90 year old grandma did some ziplining over the grand canyon and through the redwoods. 90 was her big year to do things. She's 95 and still kicking. Just have fun, at whatever you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! You certainly don't look or act 90. And your writing is so peppy and cheerful. I'm sure your dna would show 70! andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Latane, I love this idea. I'm just a baby here at 58, but last night I had two grandsons spend the night (ages 3 and 5), they thought staying awake until midnight was really fun. So today I'm seventy. :) (boy, do they keep me hopping! I used to actually be able to hop!). I do enjoy your blog, so much, keep warm and I'll be praying for you that your treatments go well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Latane~ I think I giggled all the way through this post! I love that idea of being a different age each day, week or month. I'm 69, but you are so right, sometimes I do feel 100. One of my best friends passed away 7 or 8 years ago and she was almost 100. She was amazing and loved life to the fullest! I really like your list! I have been trying to learn how to knit... oh my goodness, it's hard!! Good luck with all of those amazing goals, funny, sexy, sweet friend!! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Latane, What a wonderful idea of choosing your age each day. Since you had snow sledding on your list, have you ever gone snow tubing? We have a place not too far away from where I live where you rent the tire tube and slide down the hills. Then you grab onto a tow rope as you lay across the tube to bring you back up the hill. You do have to hang on tight as the tow rope pulls you up the hill and it's best to wear something like a ski glove or mitten for a better grip. It's fun though I haven't gone in years but I would be willing to go with friends. Ha! Have great adventures this year whatever you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great plan, Latane, and so is the list of things you plan to experience this year, except for that zip lining possibility which is a definite no for me. Riding in a horse drawn sled is on my list as well because even though we now live in New England we've never done this. As for suggestions to your list how about snow shoeing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Love this! I think I need to choose and age too. :)
    You are great, no matter what the age is every day, and no - I don't want to lose a friend like you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday #-whatever! Numbers are stupid, aren't they? Do you think Shirley would mind if I made you my honorary Little Sis?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun idea, and you're not going to do the skydiving??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that 'pick your age'. Will be praying your through your treatments. John's was so successful -although stressful at the time-it was worth the discomfort to be life saving. Hugs to you, Latane. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Latane, don't fret over the radiation (not that you are - you seem fine with it) as I went through it for BC years ago... and it really isn't a bad experience. Like our age, the thought of it is scarier than the actual fact. I'm 78 and while that number seems to stress me a bit, it's only because it's a realization that there's less ahead than behind. But I'm good with it. I'm a believer in 'What is, is and I can handle it'. I don't have a bucket list... but have always wanted to try skydiving. Thinking maybe for my 80th?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Latane! What a great idea to pick an age. My mother, and my sister, adopted the age of 29 and stayed with that one for years :) Fun to do something every month. Good to read Rian's comment, knowing someone who has gone through the experience is comforting. Have a most wonderful birthday today, sending many happy thoughts to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You think up the most fun ideas!! That's quite a list of things you might try. Good luck with that and also the radiation sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 70th birthday, if you have snow I’d go sledging. I have a fine wooden and metal sledge gifted to myself in my late 30’s but we rarely get deep snow where I live in the U.K. but when we do weeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Also I admire your attitude towards radiation. I wish you the best of luck with the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marie....love this post! Great list, Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.