Saturday, January 13, 2024

My Week In a Nutshelll #2.

                      Here it is... Saturday already and time for                                                                       My Week In A Nutshell.



                                Looking out my window....

Too often I see fire trucks, rescue squads, etc. sitting outside my window and I worry about which one of the residents is involved this time. Sometimes, it is a minor thing and the EMTs are soon on their way, sometimes they rush people to the hospital and ever so often someone passes away. Living in an environment with this age group (55+) there is bound to be problems that are health related. I am so grateful that we have help nearby... firestation and hospital very close. Help is there when we need it. 


Thinking About 

My kiddos who are stuck in Washington D. C. trying to get a flight back home to Oregon. Storms in the Northwest have planes grounded, flights delayed for days. What a trial it must be for them. 


Something New This Week

I have been smothered with love, flowers, food, family and more love. My birthday couldn't have been more exciting. I am so blessed to have such a loving family and friends. 


What I'm Reading

"Last Night" by Luanne Rice. I seem to be stuck on murder mysteries lately. Do you like that genre or do you prefer something else? 



For years I have had a very bad digestive system... it runs in my family! Ugh. The more I find out about gut health, the more I want to do something about being gut-healthy! 
Are you familiar with how bad bacteria in your digestive system can affect your over-all health? Well, I am going to do something about mine. I ordered a book about fermentation of food. Fermention is so good for you... yogurt, sauerkraut, pickles, cheese, veggies etc, etc. So, I read that as well. 

I'm Looking Forward to...

Getting my house back in order. It's amazing how trashed it got during all my birthday partying and visitors coming and going. I hate a trashed house!! I'm making progress! 
Onward and Upward!!


14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday week and felt so loved!
    I'm in Michigan and everything is closed here too. I have 2 friends who had to cancel trips because of no flights. Hope your family gets home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latane ! Happy Belated Birthday. Sounds like it was a good one despite everything. Always good to have family around. I know what you mean by seeing Fire Engines and Ambulances show up. And sorry your family is stranded with the bad weather. Traveling can be difficult these days. And I also know what you mean about gut health. We have some of that in our family too... even though we're fairly healthy eaters. Let me know if you read anything interesting concerning this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about gut health. It’s important for overall good health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday.
    I like mysteries. Like a lot of different kinds of books. One kind I don't care for is romance. Way too predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like yogurt, pickles, and veggies but sauerkraut makes me dreadfully ill ( although I like the taste it doesn't like me).
    I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Latane~ Happy Late Birthday!!! I can see that you are very loved ;0) I love fermented foods, they do make your tummy feel better. I have always had problems with my digestion, and fermented foods seem to really help. I hope your kids get back safely. I have kids leaving to fly to California tomorrow... it's scary! Have a good week! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like there was a grand celebration! I've heard about gut health but I've never looked into it. But I do eat many of the foods you listed. Hope your family gets back home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your birthday sounded like fun and wonderful to be able to share the celebration with family and friends. A few years ago I changed my breakfast routine to include fat free yoghurt in an attempt to rebalance the bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Latane - hope the family can get home soon!
    Being a non-meat eater my diet is quite healthy with lots of vegs, grains and healthy things. However, I too have suffered with digestive problems since dealing with colon cancer years ago, and have to be careful with certain foods. I just want to recommend an over the counter probiotic I've found and really seems to work for me after trying many others. It was suggested by my gastroenterologist - and I've been taking it for over a year. I take two a day.
    It's called FLORASTOR (Daily Probiotic Supplement). You may want to read about it online. I can honestly say it has made life so much better for me.
    Stay safe in the bad weather dear.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers your family gets a safe flight out without more delay
    Your birthday celebrations I hope are an inspiration for others to have nice parties.
    As we age, the news about who has been taken (by EMTs) takes on new meaning. It has a gloom over it because we all know there will, (have been) days when we will be taken.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Latane, I'm wishing for you that this will be your year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful, Latane, to read that your birthday celebration has been continuing, as it should the entire year, always! Not so wonderful that your family's trip home has been delayed by weather, which is calm here at the moment aside from the chilly temps. I know what you mean about seeing rescue vehicles outside your place, it's the same here and also my husband listens to the dispatch calls and sometimes asks me if we know anyone in a certain apt. Sadly, we have also lost neighbors over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Latane! I hope you had a fun birthday and are rested and healthy now, and looking forward to spring after this winter weather! I hope your family got home safe. Doesn't it sound weird to call 55 an older living area?! Most of my town is over 55. andrea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.