Thursday, June 29, 2023

Celebrations and Cat Scans

 What a week so far (and it ain't over yet!)

Monday... oh how I wish I could have attended this event but couldn't make it. Youngest daughter Susan was honored at the Autism Speaks 'Women Who Lead' luncheon at Winged Foot Golf Course in Maromoneck, New York. That's 2 of the 3 sons who were there to cheer her on (and her future daughter-in-law)



She and her husband started the organization Autism Coalition which eventually grew into Autism Speaks. They have put forth such an effort to educate, teach, lead, make things happen for the families dealing with autism. I couldn't be prouder of her. This was the 25th anniversary of the Golf Tournament which Susan and her husband started and led for about 24 of those 25 years. Susan has stepped down. Kevin, however, is the only original board member with Autism Speaks still on the board. 

Yep, I would have loved to have been there. 

But, the next day Shirley took me over to the hospital for tests... Echocardiogram, Full body CT scan, and bone density scan. Man, I was pooped when that was over. Came home, put my loungy pjs on and crawled up in bed to stream some shows. I'll have to tell you later about some that I have liked.



Then Wednesday... it was Shirley's birthday. She picked me up and we met her daughter and the two granddaughters for lunch at Decoy's to celebrate. It was a 4 generational thing! Shirley's been run ragged living her own life and also taking on the task of all my doctors visits, tests and the upcoming chemo. Couldn't do it without her. 



Today... I tried out a new hair dresser. I walked into that salon and I swear, every single hair dresser looked like they just graduated from high school. I wondered how someone that young would understand my 'old' hair. The 'do' is not perfect but we'll work on it, she and I.

So, I'll hang around to see what happens the rest of the week. I do hope I can slow down some. This chick is not as young as she used to be.  



12 comments:

  1. I'm always impressed when I read your blog. You have such an accomplished and doting family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful honor for your daughter and thanks for sharing such a great photo of her and her family, Latane. Hope all the test results come back with nothing but good news. You deserved an evening of kicking back and relaxing after all that! Happy 🎂 Birthday wishes to your daughter, Shirley! It was nice that you all celebrated her special day with a lunch outing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughters are both beautiful, and good people too. Congratulations to Susan!
    Glad you kicked back and relaxed. I'd say you were due for some relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have a busy life. And a lovely family!! I hope all the tests you endured have good results ❤
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful family, so loving. Prayers for your results. And I also love getting home and putting my cozy clothes on after being away all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your daughter and her husband for starting that organization educating people about autism, and for so many years. Happy birthday to Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to your daughter! A wonderful achievement!
    I bet you were tired after all those test! Will be praying for you and chemo...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to Susan (and her hubby) for this well-deserved recognition! And happy birthday, Shirley! I understand the hassle of going from one medical appointment to another, days you want to grit your teeth and say, "Time out!" Thank goodness, however, for modern medicine -- and loved ones to encourage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest daughter is 21. She went to a high school where she was taught to be a hair stylist, and started working right out of high school. She tried to work independently for the last year, and could not. Not enough income for her, high rent space, and lack of customers. She just quit her job and left the industry, and has a new job she loves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a beautiful family, you can be so proud! And your daughter takes such good care of you. I'm happy for you that your tests are over! Your hair looks pretty. Everyone looks like they just graduated from high school. lol It's getting to be a different feeling for me these last few years, having such younger people to go to for any service field! andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Shirley! Susan looks a lot like you and what an accomplishment for Susan and Kevin. I know you must be very proud of them both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! And congratulations Susan, such a worthy cause. Also a belated happy birthday to Shirley, lovely photos of you all. Sounds like a very tiring experience getting all those tests, and your bed must have felt wonderful after that long day. Everyone to me looks like they came out of high school when I go to these places :) Wishing you a more restful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.