Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Typewriters or Computers?

 Yesterday my favorite humorist/hillbilly/terribly talented social media phemon posted on Facebook about talking to 4th graders about typewriters. Sean of the South is what he goes by. His name is Sean Dietrich. I hope you'll look him up. You may like his style of humor. 

So, it got me to thinking about typewriters. Kids nowadays have no clue what they are. I've done my fair share of typing on a typewriter. It all started when I took typing class in high school. Oh, I learned how to type alright but my mind was on boys... well, actually one boy who was far away in the Navy. So, I got caught typing a letter to him during class. Whoops. 



I went through a couple of typewriters through the years and then about 1990 I walked into a Radio Shack and bought something I'd never seen before... a computer. It had a keyboard just like my typewriters did so I threw out the White-Out. I could use a backspace key to correct my mistakes.


I've been friends with computers ever since. And, just like friends... we have our arguments! Oh, there have been times I have wanted to open a window and throw that thing into the great beyond. But, we make up and all is well.


What is your connection to your computer? Since you have a blog I bet you two are pretty friendly. Any wild tales to tell that you'd share about your computer usage! I would love to hear them! 




My Wednesday quote:

"Life becomes so much simpler when we realize we don't have to hurry anymore."

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about Sean, I will look him up. Humor and social commentary are a combination I like. I follow AwakenwithJpSears on rumble. Imagine talking to 4th graders about typewriters, they have likely never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember telling my former boss, if he made me get a computer I'd throw it out the window! Sean Dietrich is the best, isn't he? I read him every morning -- and even got one of his famous hugs a couple months ago when he came to Millbrook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny! I don't have any funny stories. I ahd a gr. 4 student teach me how to use a school computer, and I never looked back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the correcting typewriters being the state of the art technology when I first became a secretary. I had to teach all of the older ladies at the office how to use them. They were understandably intimidated by them. Seems hilarious now. I love using the computer except when something goes wrong. I think they should all come with an IT person's hotline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned how to type in high school and liked it right away.
    My class was just before lunch and I was glad because the typing covered my hungry stomach noises. :)
    I mostly love my computer but there have been times when I too wanted to throw it out the window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a very tentative relationship with my computer. As long as it performs as usual I'm okay but when things go awry I have to ask one of my kids/grandkids to get me unstuck. gM

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a love hate relationship with my computer, i LOVE it when it works!! i am old enough to say, that i learned to type on a typewriter in high school...i think that makes me old. most young adults have never seen a typewriter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took typing in high school as well...about 80 wpm...certainly didn't burn down any records. I got a word processor (Brother) before computers became all the rage...then purchased my first computer in the early '90's. The old Word Processor has been pretty well forgotten but I loved mine.
    I never got caught typing letters to my beau in class...lol...we had a very lazy teacher who cared less what we did.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved typing as a teenager, so much that I got a brand spanking new IBM Selectric for Christmas. I took a word processing class in school, I was on the cutting edge of new technology! I have my nice little MacBook now, love it. My youngest daughter is fifteen, and has written a few books, not published, but is a recreational writer. She has a really nice electric typewriter, bought on Marketplace for twenty bucks, (made sure they still sell ribbons, stocked up on them). She's homeschooled, and I love hearing her clacking away on that typewriter.
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your post. I have had times when I have gotten frustrated over the computer issues........and most of the time, these issues have been caused by my own doing. Luckily, I have a very patient son who corrects my mistakes and had taught me a lot of helpful things to navigate in the technical world. I think I love the computer most because for me, it's like a library. I can seek so many informative things with the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, I learned to type in high school too. Loved it so much I took it twice. I got a very easy A the second time. :) I like the computer, when it works. Ours is probably 7 years old which is ancient in the tech world but it keeps plugging along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually love my laptop... never frustrated me... of course it has saddened me to the point of tears when it lost a whole chapter of a story once... just disappeared. And I do find that writing on a computer is 'different' from hand writing... think it must use a different part of your brain?? Can't explain it, just different. But using the laptop is so much easier to make corrections, etc. I think my brain had to adjust. And I did take typing in high school... on the old Underwood I think. It certainly wasn't electric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went from a typewriter to an IBM Selectric. It seemed so miraculous! Then a man at work got one of the early Apple desktops, and that was amazing. My next job was for a company that sold computers, so I learned a lot about them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.