Thursday, March 9, 2023

Red Hot Chili Peppers

 In my last post I mentioned hushpuppies and pork rind... some of you didn't know what those were. Oh honey, let me tell you... if you haven't had hushpuppies you haven't lived. But, of course, they have to be cooked right and Q Daddy's knows how to cook up some hushpuppies!!



It's just basically a cornbread batter with onions and sometimes corn added and dropped by the spoonful into hot oil. The inside so tender and the outside so crunchy. I love them.

Pork rinds are what they say they are. Crispy fried pig skin. Yes, I know, it sounds gross but they are good!


I am a Southern girl. I am proud of that but I haven't always been in the South.

Following my Navy sailor husband around, I've lived on all four corners of the U. S. plus Hawaii and Midway Island. And, in those places I got introduced to food I wasn't familiar with. 

I remember that right after our wedding back in 1950, I moved with Elbert to San Diego. One day we trapsied across the border to Tijuana, Mexico. Had lunch... I had never had Mexican food, much less REAL Mexican food. It set me on fire!🔥 There wasn't enough water in the entirety of Mexico to put out the flames!!!!

I grew up poor. I was a Depression child and we ate what we grew out of our garden. We never had beef to kill but would on occassion kill a hog. 

My only introduction to Mexican food was when my aunt brought over a can of tamales for us to try. It was pretty mild, pretty mushy but I was intrigued by the shucks they were wrapped in. No, not true Mexican by any means. 

Now, I can put away some Mexican food. 



I love Taco Bell chalupas. I like taco salad. I like chili rellenos. But, that's not really Mexican!! My memories of REAL Mexican cuisine have never left me. 

Blessings! 

13 comments:

  1. I love real Mexican food and Tex Mex too! And I've made the best hushpuppies years ago...should try them again! Love your posts like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful that we can get all types of foods around here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that there are so many different foods available. I like real Mexican food, but I agree it can set you on fire. I think my favorite food is still Swabian dishes (Southwestern Germany) and the seafood here at our coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like hushpuppies but my husband doesn't so I've never made them.
    Not crazy about pork rinds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love hushpuppies but I've never made them.
    I'm also a lover of mexican food. No pork rinds for me though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your food looks incredibly delicious Latane. The first time I had Hush Puppies, oh my, they tasted so different and so good!!! My other first was having she crab soup with a tot of sherry to mix. Oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post made me hungry! Love the memories. I grew up in TX close to so many lakes and my dad would go fishing and bring home enough fish to fry up for dinner and mom would make hush puppies. Such good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...I went to the University of Georgia in the '60s. Catfish and hushpuppies are my go to comfort food. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only hush puppies I have had are from Long John Silver's. I thought they were really good. I like Mexican food but don't know if any of what I've eaten is authentic Mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hush puppies are so GOOD!! I like some Mexican food, but rarely have iit - I love spicy foods!! Thanks for stopping by Pandora's Xox!

    ReplyDelete
  11. there are a few restaurants in my area that serve hush puppies, and they are so good, i too love them. i don't think i have ever eaten pork rinds, but i would if they were offered!! i too grew up kind of poor, but we did eat meat especially when my mom started to work. don't tell anyone ok...i LOVE taco bell and have to control my eating of it to once every six months or so. though, the older i get, the less i care!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to try real authentic Mexican food but I don't think my tummy would thank me. Might be worth the pain. I grew up eating Russian/Mennonite food which doesn't have much spiciness to it. Bland and tending to be heavy. One day I'll try hush puppies. They sound good. GM

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandfather’s second wife was in the business of making hot tamales. They were sold at booths at the TVA&I Fair, plus a few other outlets. They weren’t anything like what was available to buy in a glass jar. I have wished that there had been opportunity for me to learn her technique. Hush puppies are great! A visit to Dollywood isn’t complete unless it includes pork rinds!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.