Sunday, October 16, 2022

Tech Guy To The Rescue

 I am so proud of myself. It, evidently, is never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

Anyone who has had computer troubles knows what I am talking about. I had to buy a new computer recently which had Windows 11. And, my genealogy program Family Tree Maker was not compatible!!!!

I have spent the last 35 years gathering documents to build our family trees. I had tons of personal family stories, too. And, all of a sudden I couldn't even access my program. I did download the files as they told me to but no personal notes were there, most of the females were missing. I had so little left of what I had gathered over the years. I was devastated. 



But... ta da... last Friday I spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone with a Family Tree Maker tech guy and I now have almost everything restored. I'll make a call tomorrow to see if we can retrieve the rest of it. First time ever to use an online tech! 

It was so fascinating watching him control the actions on my computer. The cursor running around here and there, clicking on this and that and I just sat there watching. 

So thankful I now have all my years of hard work back again. I love technology.. and the people who know how to help you use it.



9 comments:

  1. I lost a lot of stuff several years ago and they weren't able to restore it. A tech accidentally backed my computer all the way up to "new" setting. I was devastated to have lost all my pictures and lots of poetry. I am so glad they were able to recover so much of your work. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a new laptop too and just getting things transferred over is a pain! I'm so glad you got most of your family tree back. I can imagine how devastating that was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very impressive Latane, so glad you didn't lose it all. That would have been awful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d be upset too as I work on my family tree a lot. So happy that you were able to restore those records.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get everything back. ls that an old picture? Such a good one! Where did you work? Looks like maybe a library. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! So glad that you found an answer. Losing all that information would have been very hard to take. Any chance of saving it to multiple sources? I like the cartoon...that's me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you hear that you were able to save most of all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray!!!!

    And that must have been fascinating to sit there and watch him work on your computer!!!!

    🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to read that the tech was able to retrieve your genealogy work, Latane. It's always nice to update equipment, but so hard to re-learn things. You did very well in making that call. Apple Support does much the same when you make a service call and it is fascinating to watch someone else "control" your PC.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.