Sunday, October 9, 2022

Amazing Butterflies

I am doing something different this morning. This post is a copy from interestingfacts.com. I found it so interesting that I just had to share it. The photos of the Monarch butterflies in this post, however are mine. Took 'em myself!  

No animal on Earth travels quite like the eastern monarch butterfly. Its journey begins in the early days of spring on a few mountains in central Mexico. Millions of the monarchs fill the branches of oyamel firs, and as the temperature warms up, they soak in the sun and begin their epic journey northward — a 3,000-mile trip that looks more like a bird’s migration than an insect’s. 


But it’s not only the miles that make the butterfly’s journey so remarkable — it’s also the means. A typical monarch butterfly lives for only about four weeks, not nearly long enough to complete the journey to the northern U.S. and Canada. So the migration becomes a multi-generational one. In a typical year, it will take four generations for monarch butterflies to finish the seasonal quest their great-grandparents started. 

Wow


These photos were all taken in 2018 when I was visiting in Alabama. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you shared that. It's so interesting! I had no idea about the 2 generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latane~ What interesting facts about, Monarch Butterflies, I didn't realize what a journey they took! Your photos were beautiful!! Have a great week! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. The monarchs are quite amazing and to learn that successive generations are needed to complete the journey was is fantastic. We enjoyed seeing them in your yard when we lived in VA, and now in NH, I have hardly seen any this past summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is so interesting. We usually see Monarchs here in the summer...but I've missed seeing them this year. Enjoy your Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I didn't know it was multi-generational! They are endangered now because of the lack of milkweed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.