Tuesday, April 5, 2022

5 lbs. of Onion and an Idea

 Ever since Covid started I have not been in a store. How, you ask? 

Well, to begin with my son-in-law bought my groceries and left them at the door. Then, I discovered Instacart and we have been big buddies ever since. Only recently have I gone grocery shopping and I still have Walmart, Belk etc. to go in. 

So, here's the deal. I ended up with 5 lbs. of onions the other day. I could say that it was the shoppers fault but to tell the truth, I couldn't figure out how much an onion weighed and to order it I had to tell them how many lbs. So, I just got a bag.

I eat a lot of onions. Nobody here but me to blow my stinky breath on. And, I love them. But, I was afraid some would spoil.

One of my favorite places to eat is a barbeque place and they serve a small cup of pickled onion with the plate of barbeque. I brought some leftover home with me one day, put it on a spam sandwich and it was soooo good. 



I looked up the recipe and ta da..... I have pickled onion in the fridge. You can freeze them, too, to use in cooking and I may try that next. How do you use up a lot of onion? Tell me your secret! 


7 comments:

  1. I don't know what I would do with a lot of onions but you have some good ideas. Freezing them sounds smart. I haven't been in a grocery store...we order online and pick up our groceries. It works great and I'm pleased. I sure have NOT missed going inside a Walmart! lol Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onions will keep a long time in cool storage. I love caramelized onions on pizza or protein. I also use them on a panini or grilled sandwich. I can't think of one soup that I would make without onions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onion soup, stir fry, etc. Most recipe I have uses onions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use onions in almost everything we cook also... but usually not more than 1-2 onions a week. And we've gotten too much of things before while ordering online for curb-side pickup also. Got a ton of parsley as it sold by the pound... and I didn't know how much to ask for. Got a 5 lb carton of sour cream once... instead of an 8oz one, etc. I usually give the extra to a neighbor. It did make us laugh though when we saw the enormous amount!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a lot of onions, and frequently have some quick onion pickles in the fridge. They add a lot of punch to salads, sandwiches, and other dishes. Onion soup, caramelized onions - Yay for onions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used Instacart and I would have the same situation at times. I love onions! I usually roast them with other veggies; potatoes and carrots usually. That's a great idea to pickle and freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh mercy yes!!!! About figuring out how much to order, using a net ordering system. Mine is the local Hannaford-To-Go. Which has been wonderful during the "damnpandemic." And continue to use it.

    I seem to either get too many items, or too few, when I have to order-in-pounds. LOL And I have ordered "A BAG" at times too. Figure that way, I know I'll get _enough-. -smile-

    Gentle hugs

    ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.