Sunday, May 19, 2024

A Sleepover, then An Herb Thief!

Shirley and I just had a lovely 'late mother's day sleepover' with her daughter and son-in-law. We were supposed to do that a week earlier but bad weather changed our plans. It couldn't have worked out better. 

I find the Eastern Shore of Virginia to be very calming, peaceful, a good place to relax and rewind. We arrived at my granddaughters in time to just visit and then get ready for a belated Mother's Day dinner at the Yacht Club. What excellent food, what excellent company. It was great but no pictures inside. They don't like cellphones in the club. But, trust me. It was grand. 

The next morning Shirley and I had breakfast at the Coffee House in Cape Charles. Such a charming place, and the scrambled eggs were divine! 



We stopped at Baines Farm Market and bought strawberries fresh out of the field. In fact, we got the last of the morning's pickings. And, that's what I had for breakfast this morning. 




Coming across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel we saw a Navy ship and a submarine, both heading for home base. We always are thrilled to see our Navy boys wherever they are... I still miss our Navy days all these many years later. 




On another note: It has been bird nest building time around our apartment complex. I saw a crow gathering sticks for his nest one day. Managed to get his picture. 

No picture of this. and dang it, I wish I'd had my camera ready. But, I saw a starling sitting on the edge of the pot of rosemary on my balcony. He was breaking off limbs and carrying them back to his nest. Man, that's gonna be one good smelling next! 



A day or two later I saw a smaller bird breaking off stems from my pot of spearmint. Poor thing, it's one sided now. I did bring the spearmint inside. I left the rosemary outside and it is a bit smaller in size than it was.Oh heck, I  wasn't going to use all those herbs, anyway. Might as well share with my feathered friends. 



9 comments:

  1. Great post dear, so glad you had a fun belated Mother's Day.
    I've never seen birds biting off pieces from any hers - and I have a gigantic Rosemary bush. As you say sweet smelling nests must be lovely for babies when they hatch.
    Enjoy the upcoming week Latane.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Fresh strawberries are the best.
    I can't believe the birds are using your herbs. Those will be such good smelling nests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude! Sharing, sharing, sharing! You have the best adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sleepover sounds like so much fun and the fresh strawberries.. yum!
    I have never noticed birds snitching snips of my herbs before. How sweet to think of those babies being born in such a fragrant home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your visit to the Virginia eastern shore made me a bit nostalgic, Latane, as we have not been back since relocating to NH 7 years ago. Cape Charles was always a favorite place to visit and glad you had a lovely getaway with family time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh strawberries...YUM. I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you’ve been out & about and having fun with family.You live in a beautiful part of the world. Must be something to see Chesapeake Bay. Those cheeky birds “pruning” your herbs for their nests made me laugh. Greetings from lynne, london U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehehe...you are right, you were not going to eat all those herbs anyway. i grow so much "stuff"!! it's so fun but i will never use half of it. i do freeze some herbs with EVOO but it's still too much!! those strawberries look divine and i'm glad you had a fun sleepover!!

    i would love to see the sub and the ship, how fun was that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to thank Mr Pedro via cf-loans@outlook.com also on whatsapp number +393510140339 for granting me a loan of 2,000,000 Euro to expand my agriculture project. He works with a large investment loan company.
    Thank you blog admin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.