Sunday, March 3, 2024

Life Is A Gift

 Call me weird, call me crazy, whatever... but I follow the obituaries in my home town paper. I haven't lived there for 24 years and I am finding that just about everyone I knew back there are gone now.  Sort of sets you back a bit, knowing they aren't here but you are. 

The other day I was scanning down the list of the departed and I got to noticing the ages. Yes, I know people are living longer these days but for some reason that particular day the ages were: 64 - 57- 72- 19 etc. 

And, it hit me. I could have been gone long ago so I have received a gift from God to live all these extra years! 

I just wanted to share that little thought with you on this Sunday afternoon. We all are given gifts of life. Some are short, some are long. God makes that decision. It's how we use that life that is important. 

I just want to thank God for my life ...

and, man, I hope He doesn't have me on the check-out list anytime soon!!



11 comments:

  1. I follow the obituaries too and also notice the difference in ages. Yes, thankful for each day he gives us - and then takes care of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. Birthdays are always surreal. Made it this far feels weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing, Latane ... and I've not lived there since 1988. Seeing familiar names really puts things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! It is beautiful. (I look at obituaries from my hometown also). andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look at the obituary’s as well and my high school has a list going of who has passed. It’s surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add me to those who read obituaries, whether in the weekly paper from the VA town we lived in (where we have sadly known many of those who passed) to those in papers when we're traveling. It does give me an appreciation of life, as well, Latane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recently I saw in our local paper that two women in their early 40's had passed away. I realized that I've already been given almost as many years as those two together. (Yes, I also read the obits, and check out the ages at which people die).

    ReplyDelete
  8. We no longer get the newspaper. I must admit the obituaries are one of the things I miss about it. Looks like I'm not alone in reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the same, my friend. And I am realizing that so many of the people I knew growing up in my little hometown are gone. Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I moved back here to my home town after being away for 44 years. The first obituary I saw was a girl I was in school with when we were 7! Sad to see that, but like you Latane I thank God for my long life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was with my sweet natured neighbour as she passed away last weekend at home. She was too young. Life is a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.