Friday, February 9, 2024

Chili Night

 Last night we had a chili cook-off! I think we had five different kinds of chili with all the fixings so I ate way too much.


Shirley organized the event for us so it had more 'going on' than just eating. 

First of all, everyone was given a 'tasting' of each chili. Then we had to vote on the one we liked the best. 


A trophy was awarded to the winner and then we all lined up, got a big bowl of the hot stuff topped with whatever toppings we wanted and we ate and ate and ate.


The door prize was won by one of the guys. He was certain that his chili was going to win so getting a door prize wasn't in his plans. But, there were a couple of crockpots full of chili that were better than his. It's funny to see an old man pout like a little boy!! ha ha. 

Since Shirley was taking me to my radiation treatment today, we had a 'sleep over'. No sense in her driving home (35 miles away) only to turn around and come back when she woke up. We enjoyed our time and this morning I saw a big bird land in a tree opposite my apartment. 

Shirley was hot on it's trail. She's a bird girl for sure. Soon found it along with another one on the same branch and she snapped some photos for us to have. 


Now, I enjoy birds but she has me beat big time. She knows their songs and she can identify most birds. Me.... I know a robin (it has a red breast), the bluebird is of course blue, the cardinal is red and I know a few others. but, I am lost when it comes to knowing one hawk from another, or one sparrow from another. And, the only song I know is one the mocking bird sings... 'cause he changes his tune so often. 

Two more treatments to go!! 

12 comments:

  1. Those chili's sure look good. Sounds like a lot of fun. 2 more to go...awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our church is having its 2nd annual chili cook-off this Sunday. I love the stuff -- provided it has NO BEANS and lots of heat. Like another blogger recently said, I've an 'asbestos mouth.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chili cook off sounds fun! I'm planning to make some tomorrow.
    Hooray for only 2 treatments left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, did Shirley establish what the bird was? Some kind of a hawk?
    A chili cook-off sounds like fun. I'm a vegetarian chili lover myself.
    I hope your radiation treatment went as well as it could. I'm sure it is no picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Latane, What a fun event having the chili cook-off and getting to eat and visit with everyone. It's good to hear that your radiation treatments will soon be done and you can enjoy your spring:) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did a chili cook off at a campground one year. So fun! I have not seen any birds here lately. I only saw tracks in the snow a while back. I'll be looking for them for sure. Glad you only have a few more treatments to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some men can be such babies...lol
    Those two treatments will soon be over!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun way to eat chili, and i would like to be the taster for the cornbread. I am a BREAD person, doesn't matter what kind it is.. Happy to hear you are nearing the end of the treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chili cook-off sounded like a lot of delicious fun, Latane, and now it has me thinking about making some next week, but it will not be very spicy or hot. Congrats on only 2 more treatments to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a chili cook off sounds fun!! i have met men that go around bragging like that, not a good look, especially when you loose!! and what an awesome trophy, at first i thought the wooden spoon was mounted on a chocolate candy!!

    i am so excited to hear that you only have 2 more treatments...i have a feeling they are going to miss you at the treatment center!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good pictures of the hawks
    Prayers continue for your treatments

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a chili fan and would have enjoyed this. It's cold in New York today and thought of having chili for dinner, but knew that the leftovers needed to be eaten. You've inspired me to make a pot of chili over the weekend. Prayers for your treatments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.