Monday, December 11, 2023

Believing In Santa

I was just thinking about Christmas, about how it has changed over the years, how commercial it has gotten. It certainly has evolved (maybe not in such a good way) from my childhood.

I am a Depression kid. We had nothing. My Dad had died, we (my mom, sister and me) lived with my grandparents. And, yet, I had the most memorable Christmases ever! 

My aunt had no children, her children were her school students, so she had a tendency to 'take over' life like she took over her classroom. And, it's because of her I had the best memories of that time of my life.

She had a Santa Claus suit for her class room party so one of my uncles would dress in it on Christmas morning, all in secret. Aunt Lena would gather us all in my grandparents living room, all the aunts and uncles and any kids there (mostly just me and my sister). She'd say, 'let's sing Jingle Bells' and she'd start us off with 'Dashing through the snow...." By the time we got to the chorus she'd put her hand up and say,'Shhhh. I hear something'. and sure enough there'd be someone stomping up the steps, across the porch and the front door would swing open. 

                                      It was Santa!!!

He'd pass out a few presents from the bag he held. We didn't get much, maybe a coloring book, paper dolls, a dress or pair of pajamas but it was like magic to us kids.

This went on for a few years. I must have been six or seven by this time but I still BELIEVED. My uncle couldn't be with us that Christmas morning and I never noticed that my Mother had disappeared from the room. But, Santa came in that door just like always. 'He' was busy handing out presents when I noticed something strange. 

"Santa has on my Mama's shoes", I yelled. And, that was the beginning of the end of my BELIEVING

But, oh, what memories. 

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet memory. I think we were all more innocent than children are now. Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is magic in those Christmas memories, Latane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your daughter....love this so much! I had forgotten Aunt Lena had the suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap, I was told that I had once said, Father Christmas has shoes like my father!! Aren't we clever??

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so fun! What wonderful memories and what a special aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, my friend. I still believe in the magic of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't recall when I stopped believing that is if I ever did. I lived in the Philippine Islands from age 2 to 7 so the tradition of coming down a chimney or having snow was not part of my experience. We had a tree of sorts and my earliest recollection of a gift under it was a play ironing board. Can that be right?
    Anyway great story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so funny. My dad's friend played Santa at our house. I don't remember when I stopped believing in Santa but I always said I still believed in him:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, what good warm memories! Those few gifts were enough, I truly believe that the more you have the more you want. I grew up a bit poorer than my kids can understand, and was thankful for every little thing. Thank you for sharing this, made me smile big this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like reading about your childhood Christmases and how your aunt made them special. I can't say that I have any such memories. Anyway, we grow up and make our own memories, right?
    Reading your last post I agree that sending Christmas cards is a tradition that has more or less come to an end. With e mail and cheap phone calls why send any cards? GM

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was so fun to read. i'm glad you have such happy memories!! i guess christmas has become commercial, i try to focus on the real christmas. we schedule many christmas activities and i really love this time of year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Memories such as this one you described were surely of happy times, Latane. In this day of online ordering for the next best thing, the simple joys of gift giving are overlooked, sadly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.