We residents here at Centerbrooke have been thrown a huge curve ball. Will the drama never end!!
The apartment building is owned by multiply owners from places like New York and New Jersey. Now, I'm not throwing stones at people from those areas but I often wonder if those folks have any idea what older people need and want and have to have. They took over in 2017 and turned our common room into something that was a showcase and totally unworkable for the elderly. They wouldn't provide the van that we had had, the hair salon was shut down.
They hired a management company from Virginia to oversee the place and there have been so many changes it's hard to keep up. And, we have had constant staff turn-overs so that's unsettling. Nobody seems to want to work here.
Well, last week we were told that the owners got rid of the management company, they'd oversee the managing of this place themselves (with various contractors etc). How they gonna do that from hundreds of miles away!!
We had a wonderful staff member. I don't think he's been here much over a year but he was one that you could tell he loved us and cared about us. And, dog gone if he isn't leaving Friday. I am just heartsick over this.
Okay, I've ranted enough. Thanks for listening. I needed to get that off my chest. I am very curious as to how the next few months are going to play out. I'll keep you posted.
In the meantime I'll keep dancing.....
Hey, I want to play!
I thought I'd catch up with a few blog friends this morning and visited Mary at visitswithmary@blogspot.com. Her post really spoke to me... I need a distraction big time and I loved the thought of posting a different picture each day with oneseasontothenext.blogspot.com
So, may I play along?
(today's photo is a tree)
Here's my Tree

Oh Latane, I'm so sorry. It really is hard in Independent Living and Assisted Living nowdays, finding and keeping staff is a problem all over!
ReplyDeleteI love your tree! I am so sorry you are having to deal with all these awful changes. What the dickings!!!
ReplyDeleteManagement companies can be difficult to deal with. A good site manager can enhance the atmosphere for everyone. Sorry yours is leaving. Prayers the next one is as compassionate.
ReplyDeleteMay
My son is a dietician at a care facility and he's been there over 10 years but the turnover is bad. At least at his place, no one wants to work but they sure want their paycheck! I sure hope it all works out but you know the almighty dollar is the bottom line with these owners.
ReplyDeleteMy other son works at the Veterans home. Its a bit better but they too have turnover of employees. I'm blessed that both my sons actually enjoy taking care of the elderly - and thats good for me! My daughter-in-law is a nurse and she too prefers geriatrics.
I hope the company managing you will visit and ask you all what would be best for you.
ReplyDeleteManagement changes and personnel turnover are frequent in so many residential buildings including our own mill apartment in Nashua, NH. Hopefully, the owners will take time to find out resident's concerns and possibly realize that a management company is a better choice, but a better one net time. And, it;s OK to rant because better to share your feelings than keep them bottled up.
ReplyDeleteHow disappointing to have one of the best employees leave. Well, maybe not best but well liked. Not much use in filing a complaint...no one will listen.
ReplyDeleteI like your tree picture. I notice quite a few are taking part in that picture a day.
Latane, I'm sorry to hear that one of the employees who really enjoyed working at your building and was good to all the residents has to leave due to management change. It's worrying that so many places are being bought out by companies that are located in states so far away. I hope the owner(s) show some compassion and empathy as they move forward in overseeing your building and hiring people who truly care about the residents in your building.
ReplyDeleteThis article answered many of my questions. Looking forward to reading more posts like this. Kalyan Chart
ReplyDelete