The fourth is over!
I hope you did not get caught in all the storms that hit the east coast, messing up celebrations. My dau. Susan's family got nearly blown away and totally drenched escaping from a fireworks site.
Me, I stood on my balcony and watched what I could see of the fireworks display being shot off downtown. Trees do get in the way sometimes.
I know it was a special day, the television kept telling me it was! Yet, for me it was just another fourth, a time to remember that we fought hard and won our freedom. I had ancestors who did the fighting. Geez, my family has been here FOREVER....
It's hotter than blazes here so I am staying in my apartment and giving up thanks on a regular basis for the man who invented air-conditioning. I am old as the hills, so I know what it feels like to not have that cooler than cool air blowing all the time. I remember summers that were scorchers but we had never been exposed to anything else so it was just normal. It's funny how we get used to something and think we can't live without it.
I was thinking the other day about the Jetsons. Remember that tv show from way back when where Rosie, the robot was the maid?
We all were saying, 'never in a million years will there be a man-made machine that can do what humans do.' Well, folks, a million years have passed and those robots are taking over!! I even saw where there is an entire soccer team of robots playing soccer. CRAZY!!
It might be interesting to watch a game.... one team of robots, the other team real honest to gosh humans. Wonder who would win!



Thankfully, we did not get caught up in any of those storms, but friends in my native NJ did and even lost power. Family in Lancaster, PA also lost power and as of last night were using a generator. The heat wave in nashua, NH, finally broke as of today and we are forecast to get some rainstorms on Tuesday, much needed and hopefully without causing any damage. We also watched fireworks from the comfort of our air-conditioned apartment. Who would have thought of seeing robots playing soccer?
ReplyDeleteWe had quite a thunderstorm tonight. It poured down (on the 7th). I am trying to imagine how the early settlers coped. Brave lot weren’t they? I am thankful for a lot of things, a/c is one of them. Robot maids next. A lot of things we used to think of as science fiction are now science fact. It would be nice to have our own Rosie, wouldn’t it?
ReplyDeleteI remember them!
ReplyDeleteWe have depended upon our A/C. Way too hot.
Funny that we had storms July 1st and 2nd, our celebration day is July 1st.
I've been trying to set my thermostat higher during the day when I get shade from my trees. Still, I know my electric bill will be pushing 300!
ReplyDeleteI thank whoever invented AC...I would melt without it. When I was growing up we didn't have it...but we played with the garden hose and swam in the stock tank when our Mother was not watching...and ran through the sprinkler...I think we stayed wet and cooler:)
ReplyDelete