Sunday, July 21, 2024

I'm Southern Through and Through

 Good Morning, all my fresh and frisky friends....

Hope life is treating you well. I am better... thank the good Lord for that...

I know we know each other, sort of... We know what the other posts about themselves. And, I guess most of you know that I am Southern. Born and bred. Proud of it, too. 

I've lived in a lot of places, north, south, east, west and I just never found that slower, gentler kind of life anywhere that you find in the South. I like slow... and gentle... 

I have trouble sometimes trying to decipher the reason we are the way we are and what makes us different. We all are humans. 

Now, I grew up eating dinner at noon and supper at nightime. Then I go to other places and lo and behold, supper disappeared and dinner has replaced it. Lunch was noon. I wonder why? I just never know which meal I am having anymore. But, I guess that's alright. Long as they call me for meals, who cares what they call it. 

Then, there is the tradition of  us Southerners have for funeral possessions. We pull over to the side of the road and give our respect to the one who has passed. It's only decent. I know, having heavy traffic, mutiple lanes etc might make that difficult but I feel bad to just keep driving as I pass a hearse. I wasn't raised that way. I hope somebody stops for me when I am on my way to my final resting place.


We southerns have our sayings, too. My grandchildren just bend over laughing at me sometimes when I let one of those southern things roll outta my mouth.. Like


when they misbehave. Or 'you're so noisy I can't hear it thunder'. Oh, I have a bunch more but I won't bore you. 

I love the smell of wild honeysuckle growing by the side of the road, or the sight of a blackberry patch, the vines hanging heavy with dark black juicy fruit. I love to wade in a cool creek or throw flintstones on the water to watch them skip over the surface. 


And, don't get me started about the cooking. Yes, we Southerners don't know what healthy eating is... everything is fried and there's lots of it. I could eat my weight in hot biscuits and country sausage gravy. Or Mama's fried apple pies (folks other places call them hand pies). There's tons of bacon in or on most of the dishes. Oh, and the pecan pie... I am gonna shut up before I have a diabetic attack! 


I'd love to hear about the traditions where you live, now and when you were growing up. We all are so different so it's fun to learn and grow and enjoy. 

I hope you enjoyed this post. I hope you'll go have yourself a piece of pecan pie and a glass of sweet tea while you read this. Love you all. 



15 comments:

  1. I also grew up with Dinner at noon and Supper at night. I also grew up stopping when a hearse went by. I loved living in the South (even thop iugh I was born and raised in PA). I grew up in an Irish settlement and believed in leprechauns until I was at least 12 years old....still think they might exist...lol...We said something was 'straightway' across from us....and that we would 'sort things out' (get things straight and right). I called my father-Father and my mother-Mother...not dad and mom. We always had a big chicken dinner on Sundays and some relatives would filter in to eat with us....biscuits and chicken gravy in a bowl on the side. Wonderful post, Latane. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Michigan and have lived in the same area all my life. We also grew up with dinner at noon and supper at night. I was taught to stop for funeral processions. I grew up on a farm and was taught to work hard, respect my elders, put God first. We had meals together as a family, at the table and the Bible was read after each meal. We had a big garden and there was canning going on all summer!
    I like the slower pace of the south and lots of other things from there - we could all learn a little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me nearly 70 years to land here (Alabama), but I've been working really hard to earn my Southern badge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m a lifetime Californian. When I was about 10 my grandma took me to Texas where she was born and raised to visit her family still living there. We stayed with one of her sisters for a few days and I had to be told what “I’ll swan” meant as she said it all the time (something like, well I’ll be). Then we went on and stayed in San Antonio with her brother. I’d never experienced humidity like that, they could wring the drapes and water came out as if they’d just been washed. I live in a hot, dry climate and knew that area was not for me. And the chiggers, oh my, never had experienced those before either.
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in London until I was 7 and we had pie and mash and green liquor, then moved to Surrey and had lunch then dinner then to wales and had dinner and supper, leek soup delicious and Bara Brith lovely cake (from wales)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Latane! Wow, you lived in some great places! I grew up in Texas on a dairy farm. My mom was a great cook but yes, everything was fried. I loved fried okra and biscuits and gravy is still my favorite breakfast food. My mom made the best blackberry cobbler. And the pot luck dinners at church were amazing. Some of my favorite sayings were "you better straighten up and fly right" and it was always I'm fixin to do this. I really miss how friendly people are in the South. I've been in Arizona for the last almost 40 years and it's just not the same! Have a great week and glad you've recovered from your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A splendid post Latane, and thank you for sharing all these ways, it all seems so graceful. Where I grew up in the UK it was either breakfast, dinner or tea, the last one used to be lighter meals, sometimes tea sandwiches, sometimes beans on toast, but always with a pot of tea. I've met other British friends and they do things totally different in their areas, for instance if they grew up in Scotland or other places. I come out with certain expressions that I may not have said in a long time, I was very used to hearing and saying in the UK, like being happy you hadn't seen someone in a while and bumping into them, coming out with, "Well I never, I haven't seen you in a donkeys age!" Also, "Put the kettle on" was always something said in my family. A hot cup of tea was served up all day long, so anyone who was seen anywhere near the kitchen, "Put the kettle on" was our mantra in perpetuity :) Thanks for such a very nice post and I wish you a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was born and raised in England until I was 12 years old. Breakfast, dinner and tea were our meals then, after moving to Canada the meals eventually changed to breakfast, lunch and dinner, can't explain why. In England, dinner was usually around 1:00 p.m. and was a large meal, tea later in the evening, when my father had finished the milking and chores on his farm. That meal was lighter food such as beef dripping on toast, I loved that, or winkles with bread and butter , the kettle always on the boil for a pot of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have lived in a lot of places, wow! I was born and raised in San Diego, my husband and I met and married there, then we started a family and moved to... "Beverly. Hills that is." No no. We didn't move there. That just went through my head as I was typing. :) We moved to Seattle. When I was growing up I remember if my grandma dropped something or heard a crazy story she'd say, "Well for cryin' in the sink!" (She was born and raised in Iowa.) In San Diego we'd make tea and put sugar in it. I thought that was sweet tea until we visited the south. Whooweee! Sweet tea is sweet! But I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I both grew up in NJ where, as children, breakfast, lunch and dinner were served at the family table and everyone dined together. We we were Southerners, but only for about 13 years, and we indeed learned that fried foods were popular fare. The favorite expression we often heard was "Bless his (or her) heart" but it meant quite something entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm Southern too and love the fried pies. Maybe I'll make a couple today! We have been buying a few Healthy choice meals lately for camping and there is a crustless Chicken Pot Pie. Get one, and when it's cooked, put a biscuit on top (sliced, warmed and buttered). It's almost as good as homemade! Easy peasy ! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope everyone is doing well, I have some news to share today.... In the next week I am moving to NOLA and hoping this new journey will put me back into the attitude that change is good. So much to do and not enough time to do it. I am so thankful for all the wonderful people in my life (including Pedro Jerome) a loan lender that support me at all times I am excited and also worried my life has been such a downer for so long that getting out of it has been hard, but I do really feel that this change is going to be the best thing I need right now, and I have hopes that all good things do come to those that wait.
    I'm thanking a loan lender who helped me with a loan of 1 millions dollars to boost up my business once again at the rate of 2% annual return which is so wonderful, and I would like anyone stuck in financial situation to reach out to Pedro the loan lender on pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp: +393510140339. For loan assistance.
    So please keep me in your thoughts, and thanks to this blog I can at least keep in contact with all of you.


    ReplyDelete
  14. Hubby was born in Ivor, VA. I was born in Courtland, and we married in' 66, and we've lived in a little GI house all these years. We raised our daughter and son here, we are still here. My hubby was a tenant farmer's son, and has never wanted to move again!
    The things we do love, huh. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite southern saying is I'd rather wrestle a grizzly bear butt
    Naked in a phone booth . Which shows how old I am. No phone booths
    Left nowadays.


    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.