Saturday, October 28, 2023

Healthy Eating

     Michael is a self-taught cook and a mighty good one at that.  He didn't learn any cooking skills from his mom! 

One of our topics of conversation is food. Even though I am not a good cook, I do enjoy any food that is well-prepared and well-thought out. 

So, I am on my laptop scanning through recipes that we might try while I am here. We both are trying to eat healthier. 

This recipe was so far from what I am used to and definately not what I'd call a 'man sandwich' but I wanted to make it. That's what we had for lunch yesterday. 

And surprisingly, Michael pronounced it a winner. He's even going to add the recipe to his cookbook. 

 He headed to the garden where he picked the peppers we needed.

Then we got busy and created our sandwiches. Picture is of sandwich open face before we slapped the two halves together. 

The spread is made of cream cheese, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, lime juice and chopped chives. Then the toasted bread (we used sour dough) is layered with slices of avocado, cucumber and bell pepper. (We used banana pepper instead). 

It was very filling and quite delicious. 

I think chunks of crab meat added would be excellent. And it would make a great wrap. 

Here's the picture from Eating Well that inspired our take on it. 

It was a healthy lunch. But, we just could not resist a large Mr. Goodbar sitting on the counter so we had chocolate for dessert! 

10 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious! Adding crab meat is a great idea.
    I'll try this one for sure. In the winter, that sandwich will be like a mini blast of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up we often had a sort of similar sandwich in the summer. My grandmother had a full garden and we'd make what she called "Garden Salad Sandwiches" with tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, onion. We just used mayonnaise as our sandwich spread but I'm telling you those sandwiches were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you deliver...???? lolol
    Yum!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like my kind of sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, you made that sandwich look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like my kind of sandwich. The spread sounds like an interesting combination of ingredients and I still have chives in my garden. I plan to try it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks very tasty. I am going to make this. Thank you for the step by step. It’s a pretty sandwich with all those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful, Latane, that this sandwich is not only healthy but also delicious and it looks good too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.