Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Preparing For The Winter!

 I've been....


I want to share with you what has kept me busy. I'm like a squirrel getting ready for the winter! 


The other day I cleaned out my freezer. This being an apartment, all I have in the way of freezer space is that area above my fridge. Not much, but enough I guess. 

Anyway, my packages would get all scrambled around and I couldn't find anything!

Since a lot of my food is frozen in those quart (or pint, just depending) ziplock bags, I got this idea that if I could keep them in a box, just maybe they'd stay put. Couldn't find a blooming thing in this apartment that they'd fit into..... except an empty shoe box. Hey, if it works....



And, I froze some veggies that I had in the crisper. Heaven only knows I let a lot of food go to waste... 'cause I can't eat it all before it goes bad. 
I froze some carrots, celery and red peppers. 


I'd get so upset when I would buy lemons... I never had any when I needed them! 

So, I buy a bag now. Juice them all. Pour some juice into small freezer bags and when I want some juice to add to tea, put in a dish, sprinkle over avacado or other fruit, I just pop the bag against the countertop and the juice breaks into pieces. I reach in and get what i want and put the rest back in the freezer for later. 

Let's see. Oh, this morning I got a lot of Christmas cards addressed and stamped. They are lying on the entry table ready to be mailed. 


and, I reorganized my pantry! 


We had our family Thanksgiving dinner last Sunday so tomorrow I plan on watching the Macy's Day Parade. Maybe I'll follow that up with the Dog Show from Madison Square Garden. Elbert and I used to watch that! 

Life is good. It's what you make it! 




12 comments:

  1. Those are good tasks done. I also find a shoe box size very helpful for freezer food storage and use the cheap plastic ones from Wal*Mart. Because I was baking and scrounging for stuff, I decided to straighten up my baking pantry. I was able to consolidate a few things so now I have extra room. Enjoy the parade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been on a roll getting organized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great attitude! There is so much to be thankful for. As I age, I have mobility issues, health issues, things that need fixing in the house, but the the list of things to be thankful for is waaaaay longer than the other list. It's all about attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! It's so smart to freeze those veggies. I throw too many away. My sister got a dehydrator and has been drying them, they work well for adding to soup and stew.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've gotten lots done. I use those freezer bags like that too. So handy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pantry is looking good and I, too, have lots to be thankful for. Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have been productive. Great idea to use a shoe box to contain the bags of frozen food so it doesn't get all messed together. Your pantry is a model of neatness too. Have a great weekend. Granny M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an inspiration. I am impressed Latane. Time for me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh honey, come help me:) You have been busy doing great things to get all organized. I need to do the same. Enjoy your weekend dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooooh i also throw some foods out because the quantity i have to buy is too large!! you are super organized, i am too!! good on getting your christmas cards started/done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Latane, I am a bit late in blog reading as we were away for the holiday, but hope yours was a happy day. You certainly did get a lot done with organizing the freezer and pantry. Like yourself, so many of us do not want to waste perishables and now I hold off going to the supermarket until most of those are used up. Good for you on getting some of your holiday cards done. My card writing begins this week and I also send some to fellow bloggers and would be happy to send one to you, just send an email to me with your address.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also freeze veggies so I won't waste them. I thank you for the lemon juicing tip!! I had never thought of that! And I like the idea of them all corralled the the shoebox! Great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.