Wednesday, November 9, 2022

"In Those Old Cotton Fields Back Home"

There's nothing like a field of white cotton to drag me back to my childhood, living in Alabama, 'helping' the grownups pick cotton. I even had my own little sack  that I slung over my shoulder that dragged along behind me while I picked.... maybe a handful of bolls. I was all of four or five years old. 

Monday Shirley drove me out to a cotton field near her home. It looked like there was snow on the ground it was so white. I loved seeing it. Cotton has a very distinctive woodsy odor.. warm, comforting. I remember playing on big piles of picked cotton that had been stored on the front porch until the folks could go to the gin. 

                         Oh, those were the best of times! 

Here's Creedence Clearwater Revival to put you in the right mood. Play a little of it and sing along, I bet you know the words! 









11 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling more about cotton. It's amazing that you were put to work as a little one...obviously, you found it enjoyable. Had no idea that there was a scent associated with cotton. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories. Growing up in the north I never saw cotton in the fields until I moved south in my early 20s. It's amazing. I do know the words to that song. I hope you have a blessed night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cotton looks beautiful against the blue sky. Wonderful memories. I've never seen a field of cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so pretty! I've only seen cotton fields a few times. I like the song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen cotton fields. And I never knew it had a smell. Thanks for telling us about it. Nice blog post. Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this…reminds me of when I taught in SC in the 90’s and cotton fields

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I don't think I've ever been to a cotton field. And I didn't realize there was a smell associated with it either. What a precious childhood memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my comment which I didn't notice once again that I was anonymous. Grrr

      Delete
  8. I do love a field of white cotton and one of my favorite candle scents is white cotton. Is there any other kind??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Central New Yorker here, never have seen cotton growing in real life, I also didn't know it had a scent...isn't it fascinating how smells bring back strong memories? Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much pain and sorrow and shame associated with such beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.