Friday, November 11, 2022

My Favorite Veteran

                         My Favorite Veteran


I met this man when I was fourteen! Thought he was the cutest thing since sliced bread. He enlisted in the Navy as an SA (seaman apprentice) and we 'dated' through Uncle Sam's mail service. He even proposed to me in a letter. I still have it. 

For the next 22 1/2 years he served his country with dignity, honor and passion. He was in the battle of Inchon in Korea and other battles. He was a radioman so he was among the first to land on the beach so he could establish communications with the ship and the ground crew hitting the beach fighting. 

Much later, he was on an ammunition ship carrying nuclear warheads to our troops in Vietnam. 

He eventually became an officer through the Limited Duty Officer program. His first assignment as Ensign was as Communications Officer at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis. 

He retired from the Navy in 1969, having served his country well. He was a dedicated sailor, family man and child of God. He seldom angered, was always whistling, smiling,  telling jokes and enjoying life. 

I was honored to be his wife.....

                                  Latane

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story, Latane. You were blessed to have such a great man in your life and he was blessed to have you, too.
    I am thankful for your hubby's service. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a blessing to read your story. I'm so glad you married such a man. And I thank you, too, because no military person serves alone. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww that was a sweet post about your husband. The families serve along side their military person and keep those home fires burning. Thanking your husband for his commitment and service. We need more like him! God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely tribute to your special veteran.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post about your veteran.
    My husband was in the Navy for 20 years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww - I love this! What a nice tribute to your wonderful husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful tribute to your late husband who was indeed a very special man and partner. My husband is also a Navy veteran.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Latane what a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a touching tribute to your husband. He sure was handsome too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.