Monday, June 6, 2022

Making Memories, Making Mama's Fried Apple Pies

 It seems that I can't get rested from the long journey from Virginia to Alabama. Of course, two days on the road put a kink in my disposition! 😀Travel just gets harder and harder, the older and older I get! 

Today my daughter and son-in-law, who brought me down to my sons, left to go back home. Then a couple swung by to visit my son.. sailing buddies and they talked for 2 1/2 hours.... about... you guessed it.... SAILING. And I don't know a jib from a rudder! So, I got hungry and I got sleepy but I sat there just as attentive as I could be, like I knew everything they were talking about. Soon as they left, I gobbled down a sandwich and crashed for a nap! Lordy! 

We've been doing some fun stuff. We went to the Rattlesnake Saloon, a cafe under this huge rock hangover (like a big cave with a Big opening at the front). I'd been before but Shirley and John had not so it was nice watching them enjoy it. To see that adventure click Here

One afternoon we fried some apples pies (some people call them hand pies) just like my Mama used to make. Michael's friend gave him some apples last year and he dried them in his dehydrator. I cooked those ---

then made the crust dough, squishing the shortening into the flour just like I had seen my Mom do a zillion times. 



Man, that stuff is sticky so I washed my hands and yes, I am barefoot. Usually am when I am inside!


and then I let the younger generation take over from there. Each kid took their turn rolling out the dough, 



cutting it into circles,


plopping some apple on one side


folding the dough over, 


              crimping it with a fork 


and in the iron skillet it went. 



It really brought back so many memories for me and for them, too. 

All of them fried, cooled and ready to eat.... with Mom's apple bowl that she used to keep her cooked apples in while she was frying pies for me. 



5 comments:

  1. Sounds like happy times and those fried apple pies sure look good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pies look delicious. I go barefoot in the summer, too. As much as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look well settled in for a long visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pies look scrumptious! What fun to make them all together. Were they as good as they looked?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is that?? You made baking those pies a family affair! And don't you look cute??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.