Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Going To Heaven Half-dressed

 As I was checking out some blogs this morning I happened upon Far Side of Fifty. Her post today was about the differences in funerals long ago and now. 

As she wrote about the family purchasing underwear, a suit, flowers etc for her great-grandparents it brought to mind my own dear husband's funeral.

Knowing the end was near, I had a friend go to the base for me. I told him to buy a uniform with Lt. stripes on the sleeves of the jacket. I wanted Elbert buried in his Navy uniform. He was so sweet to do that for me. When he brought it to me, it was in a hang-up bag so I just hung it in a closet.

When my husband passed, his body was brought to the local funeral home. I get a call from them. Where's his pants? I had never looked inside the bag that held the uniform but the funeral home found that it only contained a jacket. I couldn't have my hubby running around heaven without his pants on, could I? So, I went through his clothes searching for a pair of pants that would look enough like a Navy uniform to pass. 

My friend, bless his heart, didn't hear the UNIFORM part of my request just that I needed Lt. stripes on a jacket and didn't even buy the pants. But, we made do. I am sure God doesn't require regulation dress up there. 



8 comments:

  1. Oh my, that would have been quite something! I think God has a great sense of humour and wouldn't mind at all that the pants didn't match the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too cute! When my baby granddaughter was to be baptized in Florida, my son discovered his wife had forgotten to pack his suit pants; we had to make an emergency stop at Wal-Mart on the way to the church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, no way your Husband could be in Heaven without pants! Thanks for sharing this story. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your husband. He was so handsome. Your blog is gorgeous with it's deep blue look today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think God cares how we come, just that we come. But it is a funny thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute story. Your husband certainlly was a handsome man. I follow Far Side's blog. I don't know how she posts something every day and her posts are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All's well that ends well so I guess the pants you chose to go along with the jacket was a good ending. Your husband was a very handsome man. Sometimes I wonder if we'll look like we do now once we;re in heaven. Or will we be ...let's say, 30 years old. Instead of wrinkled and aged. Those of us blessed to get old and wrinkled.
    I'm still not sure why I have trouble commenting on your blog but I'll keep going through that "post comments(Atom) link on the bottom left corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why you are having trouble. I am so sorry and I appreciate your efforts to stay in touch.

      Delete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.