Saturday, February 26, 2022

Planning Ahead

 There's something about losing someone close in age as yourself. You start thinking about your own mortality

True, my sister was 9 years older than me but I'd use that as a guideline to measure my successes and failures. "In another 9 years I am going to start falling.. or have more arthritis.. or stay sick all the time etc. etc. etc." Do you do that? I gotta stop!!                                                                           😔

Now, I have always been an organizer. I like things figured out, and being my age, is making that part of my life a wee bit different. Oh, I have a lot done already in case I keel over in the next day or two. But, my sis's passing has made me think a bit more seriously about 'do I have it all in place?' I don't want my children to have to deal with all my messes and unfinished projects after I am gone.

                                        Just something to think about... 

I have decided to go more minimalist than I normally am. Get rid of things that are catching dust, lying around in my way. I mean, my apartment isn't that big... and I don't want to have to wade through a ton of dusty stuff to find what I am looking for on a daily basis. It's getting harder to find things... trust me!

Do you remember Hint's From Heloise? Oh my gosh... housewives thought she was the 'cat's meow' when it came to being that perfect homemaker. Heloise used to say, 'if you haven't used it in a year, toss it out.' I think that was Heloise. Gee, it's been so long since she was around but that saying still holds true today. 


So, I've been pulling out, going through, sorting, making piles of things to ask my kids if they want them. I could get away with all this work by calling it 'my spring cleaning?"

Which leads me to this mornings chore. I pulled all my Creative Memory Picture Scrapbooks out, dusted them off and started going through them. Were they completed so I could pass them on? Heck no. 

Since I took 24 of those heavy books off the shelf (and believe me, there are a few more) I started asking myself, which ones would I give away. I've found 2 so far. haha. 


So, another thing... Some trips I have made have been just the BEST... I started looking places up on Google of various locations where I've gone and found some very interesting facts that I did not know (or I forgot along the way). I think I plan on using the month of March to share a trip to Ireland my oldest daughter and I made back in the 'olden' days of 1996. Some of the info I found just blew my mind. I always did love to learn new things. I hope you do, too.

Don't look too closely at this. It's not Ireland but rather of a trip I made to Arizona with my Mom. 

So, watch out... We are spending March in Ireland (not in person but on blogger). Wish we all could just pack up and go as a group. Gosh, wouldn't that be fun. 

Alas, long travel trips are a thing of the past for me, even some shorter ones. !!!! So, come along with me... we'll have fun. Least I hope it will be for you. I'll have a blast reliving all of that fun trip! 

6 comments:

  1. My mom passed at 73 my dad at 74. My younger sister who was 5 years younger than me passed when she was 56. I’ll be 68 in March and yeah I wonder about mortality more than I should. I keep thinking if I can at least make it to 75. Of course I’d love to live a bit longer. I’m fairly healthy for my age; minor aches and pains. We just never know…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting Ireland will be fun! I'd love to visit there in real life one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ireland is on my list to visit once Europe opens again though it doesn't look promising now that there's a tragic war.

    There's a book you should look for called The Art of Death Cleaning. It's what you do before you die so your kids don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is inspiring me Latane, I have so much stuff to downsize and I need to start now. Looking forward to your Ireland trip on here. We have extended family over there so it will be interesting for me to see where you traveled too. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are spending March in Ireland (not in person but on blogger)...i am not sure what that means?? i have a lot of scrapbooks also, i am sure they will end up in a dumpster one day. when i think about all of the work, all of the memories...i am happy to have the books but rarely look through them!!

    i have always been an organizer too, but i don't think i could be a minimalist!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am doing that too. What has happened with me is that I start pulling things out to get rid of, dust them and put them back. It is hard to part with some things. I am also trying really hard to get things in order. I don't want my Daughter to have to do it all, and I want it done MY WAY:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.