Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Sound of Silence

 I lay in bed last night thinking about my grandmother. We weren't all that close. Even though my Mom and I lived with my grandparents, I can't recall much about her when I was young even if I reach into the far corners of my memories. 

She was a small woman, quietly going about her chores. She and my grandpa had raised a batch of kids, all taught to work hard. When their eldest daughter did not marry, she continued living with her folks. She is the one who took care of me while my mom worked. She was the one who did most of the cooking and cleaning. She was the one who was my keeper and my companion. 

My Grandmother was the one who picked blackberries, gathered eggs and helped with the baking.    

After I married and was following my sailor husband all over the place, we'd come back home to visit. My main memories of my Grandmother are from that time period. She was small in stature to begin with but as age advanced, her shoulders stooped and she shrunk. I doubt if she was 5 feet. 

I'd go see her and there she'd be, sitting in a rocking chair by the window so she could watch the world go by. She never said much but she did seem glad to see us. Maybe she didn't talk because her hearing was gone. If you can't hear what people say to you, how do you respond? 

She lived to be 100. I was standing by her hospital bed when she passed. 

And, I was thinking about all of that last night and wondering how she affected my life, even in her distant ways. She taught me to notice small things, to appreciate what you had, to not get into other people's business and to enjoy being silent. 

I've had "The Sound of Silence" on my mind lately. I find myself humming it throughout the day. I don't even know most of the words to that song but I like the title. The Sound of Silence... what peace that brings! Thanks, Grandma.                       


                 

7 comments:

  1. My grandmother didn't talk much to me either. When my parents vacationed, I'd stay with her every summer. My parents and sisters were born in Europe and I was their American child. Granny was 70 when I was born. She emigrated to the U.S. before my parents did from Belgium and spoke Flemish and French...a very small amount of English. My parents wanted us to speak English only because they didn't want anyone to know they were originally from another country. Times have changed. My granny baked bread every week. If anyone visited, she would send them home with a loaf of homemade bread. In the evenings, she was always working on her lacework. She sent away to France for the lace tape. She supplemented her pension with selling lacework. There are so many memories of my granny...washing her clothes outside at her wringer washing machine, bathing me as a child with Ivory soap, and letting me sleep with her at night. So nice to remember those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such sweet memories of your grandmother. thank you for sharing them.

      Delete
  2. 100 years old! What a long life lived and I am sure she was happy to see you there with her. I don't remember much about my Mom's Mom but my Dad's Mom, AKA Grandma Howell is one that I remember most. I try to keep those memories alive by trying to remember times from long ago. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I never knew either of my grandmothers, I can't really comment. One died before I was born, and one when I was still a baby. But I would have liked to have known them... and have memories of them. Makes me wonder what my grandchildren will remember of me. But you sound like you have some good memories... cherish them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful memories. I only knew my paternal grandmother, but she made a strong impression. I loved her. Still do, although she's been gone 22 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew either Grandmother or Grandfather. My maternal Grandfather was around for the very early years of my life... And I was told, he and I spent a lot of time together. But I do not have any memory of so doing. Which is sad.

    I did know my Great Aunt Josie, who was my Grandmother's sister.

    Lovely that you have these memories...

    Gentle hugs,
    😏 My Icon is "Vera," not me 😏

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.