Thursday, February 17, 2022

Two Life Celebrations

 


I posted this on facebook on the day after Valentine's to celebrate my one and only sister's birthday. 
To make it to 97 and be active (playing bingo, memory good, loved her little dog, Susie and to play blackjack) is something to celebrate.

The last 4 months haven't been all that great. She fell and broke her pelvis. 

But, I was surprised and so sad to get the call late in the day on her birthday that she had quietly slipped away from us. 

But, what a life. Married at 16, then WWII came, two kids, a divorce. Another marriage that lasted for over 50 years. Made a career for herself as a keypunch operator at the Alabama Beverage Control Board and retired as it's supervisor. 
She loved to travel, loved good ole Southern cooking. Her black-eyed peas and coleslaw were my favorites. She enjoyed her grandchildren and great-grands. Although we lived over 800 miles apart, we talked nearly every day by phone. 

I remember a trip the two of us took to Orange Beach, Alabama. Just sunning on the beach, eating seafood and driving through the countryside just chatting away. 


There were nine years between us and we didn't always see eye to eye like all siblings do but that gal will be missed. There's a hole in my heart this morning. 
I celebrate her amazing life here on earth - I celebrate her new life in Heaven.



17 comments:

  1. OH my goodness, I am so sorry to read this but what a nice long life! Your Sister is beautiful! I know you are cherishing the memories that you have. Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose sibling especially when kept as close as you two were at least by phone. She was a lovely lady and certainly lived a full life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To have had a wonderful Quality of Life, mostly for all her years, was wonderful.

    Sorry for your loss.

    Gentle hugs,

    😏 My Icon is "Vera," not me 😏

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very sorry for your loss. Sisters are special and what a blessing to have her all these years. It's a double blessing that she lived a full life until 97.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a life! You paid her a beautiful tribute. I can not imagine the sadness you are experiencing. Gentle hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my to die on her birthday. I guess she held out to that date. I have three sisters and two brothers, all still on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lantane, I'm sorry to hear of your sister's passing. My sister and I were also 9 years apart. She married when I was 10 and moved away, so I never felt that I knew her very much until she moved back years later. But she died at 51 of cancer (just when we were getting to know each other as adults). I'm so glad you and your sister had those years together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for you and family. So sorry about your sister...the pictures are lovely. I enjoy your blog...prayers...prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a wonderful person and a good sister. She seems to have given the world a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts are with you dear Latane - may your beautiful sis now be in a better place, without pain or suffering. Remembering her long full-lived life with pride will help you through your grief. Having such a wonderful sister must have been such a blessing. I never had a sister but do have a great brother but far away in France.
    Stay strong dear - take care.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my dear, I am so sorry for your loss. You will miss your beautiful and spunky sister very much. Praying for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful life, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you'll miss her, but what a blessing to have had her so long. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH, I am SO very sorry!!! You have posted a lovely tribute to her. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. there was some sadness for me reading this, i know you will miss her. but such a great, long life and leaving this place quietly, what a way to live and what a way to pass!!

    my sincere condolences, this is a beautiful tribute to her life!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sweet Aunt Lois...will miss her so much! I'm glad you two had some good times together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will miss her so much! Sweet Aunt Lois. Love you, Mom. Glad you two had some good times together! Sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.