Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Memories of Sis

 Life feels strange now. I keep thinking of my sister, how we were so different and yet we connected. How we shared secrets (cross our hearts and hope to die kind). How she always thought I was spoiled but she wasn't thinking about the fact that she was 9 years older and I was too young to do the chores she was having to do. 

I remember being jealous of her because my husband and I and our 4 kids had just moved into a small house with one teeny bathroom and she and her husband had 2 bathrooms, one with a whole wall that was mirrored. 

I remember trips we two sisters made together. Once to Calloway Gardens where we ooohed and aaahed over the flowers in bloom. 


Next we went to Gatlinburg and it rained and rained. We toasted our 'vacation together' in our hotel room with Sprite and ate pizza while we watched the rain come down. 

We drove down to Orange Beach, Al. and spent hours baking our skin on the beach there. 


We went to Louisanna Lagnippa restaurant where we ate seafood, watched the boats come in after a day of fishing and since I wasn't the driver I had one cocktail and got tipsy. She got a big kick out of that!


On our way down to Orange Beach we'd stopped at a large restaurant in Foley. I've never seen so much food... before we even ordered, the waitresses were coming around with bowls of fried okra and filling our salad plates with it. And, if anyone wanted a dinner roll, it got tossed to them from a waitress half-way across the room. 

From our hotel balcony, Sis (we called each other Sis) threw out bread crust and we had a swarm of gulls attacking us. It was such fun. We squealed and squealed then threw some more bread for another attack. 


When I got cancer, she and her husband drove up to Virginia so she could spend some time with me before my surgery and chemo. And, one time she flew up by herself just for a visit. The first and only time she ever flew in her life of 97 years. She did it just for me! 

It was just us two girls. and now it's just me. But, I have these memories to hold onto and cherish. 

9 comments:

  1. You certainly have made some wonderful, fun-filled memories. I am so sorry to hear of her passing. Sending prayers for peace and comfort for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss but so glad to hear these happy memories. I'm glad you spent time together...it's not easy to do that when you get older. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sad, but how rich you were to have such a sister, a true friend. I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs.
    Della

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will have many wonderful memories surface. Yes, the baby of the family often suffers a lot of teasing for being spoiled. You're right. She would have more chores than you would for being the big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post with such good memories. You were lucky to have such a close relationship with her. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hold on to those wonderful memories. Condolences to you and the rest of her family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Mom! What a sweet tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are sweet memories, Latane. Sisters can be such wonderful friends. I have a sister, just 13 months younger than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful memories Latane, and having the lovely photos to accompany them makes all the difference.
      No sister for me sadly, but do have a great brother, 8 yrs. younger - just wish he wasn't so far away (in France) and we could spend more time together.

      Delete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.