Monday, September 13, 2021

Supersizing is Bad for Your Health

 I was prowling around in my book case yesterday and found a book that I had bought ages ago. It had gotten lost in the shuffle, back behind a bunch of stuff!! 

It's "Secrets of Longevity" by Dr. Mao Shing Ni and it's chockful of simple and easy to follow suggestions on how to live much longer. The subtitle is "Hundreds of Ways to Live to Be 100". My grandmother lived to be 100. My sister is following along in her footsteps at 96. So, yes, if I am healthy, I wouldn't mind living to celebrate my 100th birthday.                                                    



In America we seem to think that bigger is better. Bigger cars, bigger houses, bigger wardrobes, more money and meals that are super-sized!! The picture shows what I was served for lunch today. But, I did not eat it all. I always bring home a doggy bag.

According to Dr. Mao Shing Ni in his book, he says that if we eat less we will live longer.

Hey, I am good with that! Who needs all that 'full feeling', bloat and extra weight?

You probably will see me reference his wisdom in posts from time to time. It's good advice. I hope you will find it helpful.

10 comments:

  1. Portion control is a big deal! Your header is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I agree so much! My daughter is married to a young man from Denmark, and lived there with him for a bit. Their portion sizes are so much smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we've always been told - "you are what you eat" - and that is so true. America is becoming super sized, one can even see it in the children, many of whom have terrible diets and then of course only exercise their fingers, not their entire bodies!
    I recall the first time my dad came to to visit from England back in the '70's and ordered prime rib in a restaurant - when they put the plate in front of him him he thought it was for the entire table to share, not just his portion!!!!
    I don't eat as much as I used to and try to make it the right things to stay healthy.
    Here's to a long and healthy life dear Latane.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat what feels comfortable to me. Here's to 100! You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't find it hard to portion... seems like my stomach can't take large amounts... not even those supersized beverages. I often wonder how people can drink that much. So I agree that it's healthier to do small portions. And what's the old saying, "moderation in all things".

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the large portions, don't have to cook the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i do think when it comes to food, smaller portions are better. when it comes to cars - for me, bigger is better!!

    is there a burger under all that bacon??

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good reminder and thank you for sharing it. I find myself reading more and more about nutrition and the best kind of foods to eat, portion control and other info. I always seem to get an upset tum when I eat out, so I don't eat out too much any more. I am my father after all, bless him. I always remember him saying that he liked - insert food item here - but it didn't like him back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also like to hit 100 so all advice is appreciated! Many times when I eat out, if there is a kid's meal or half portion that's what I will order. I also bring some leftovers home for another meal the next day:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to be reminded from time to time that we don't need to eat nearly as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.