Monday, September 27, 2021

A Chance Encounter

 


It's Christmas Eve 1947 and the folks are doing some last minute shopping. I am trying to keep myself out of the way so I don't see what gifts they are buying. I am thumbing through the dress rack, wishing I had this one, or that one.

A soft voice asked if they could help me. I turn around and lose myself in a pair of dark brown eyes. The young man is tall, good looking. I say no I'm just looking but he doesn't wander off, he stays for a couple minutes to chat.

I can't get that young man out of my mind. So, on days I had music lessons and a few minutes to spare between making my piano teacher cringe with missed notes and the last class of high school I wander into that store. Just looking, mind you.

And, there he is.
For the next 3 weeks we meet by the dress rack and chat. Then on that 4th week he tells me that he is going to San Diego. He's joined the Navy. 
Well, my heart sank. 
But, then he asks me to write him. We exchange addresses. 

Fast forward to fall and school starts again. In the seat behind me is a mousy girl, quiet, so I strike up a conversation with her. Ask her what she did for the summer.
"Oh, I am writing a sailor. He's stationed in San Diego."
"Me, too," I exclaim. "What's his name?"
Elbert B....., she says. 
What!!

So, the next week a young naval recruit far from home got two letters from two very upset young ladies. 

The end to the story?

Elbert and I were married for 60 happy years. 




8 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful story. I hope the other girl finally met her Prince Charming. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Latane, such a great story of how you met - and that photo of you both is so gorgeous! I can see why the two of you fell for each other.
    Love your navy blue suit and sling back shoes - all would still look good for today's fashion.
    Enjoy this lovely week - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. ☺️ What a beautiful couple you made. Such a pretty girl and such a handsome young man who were deeply committed to one another for all those years. It warms the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful story!
    My mom had photos of several soldiers in her files. She had letters from them, as well. Her first fiance died in the war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!
    That's a great story. And what a beautiful photo of the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet story! You two were such a cute couple!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.