Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Brenda Gannt....I am not!

 I follow cooking with brenda gantt. I saw her making biscuits just like my Mama used to make. You know, where you make a well/hole in your flour, put in your shortening and milk and just form your biscuits with your hands. 

I got this brilliant idea that I would get me some self-rising flour, Crisco and buttermilk and make me some. Oh, in my mind, they were going to be fabulous!! I could just taste them. 

I followed the way Brenda did things. And, I had the biggest mess you ever saw. I had at least one biscuit of dough stuck to my hands, there was flour everywhere. But, I proceeded. I was confident!! These were going to be the best biscuits. I mean, how can you go wrong with Self-rising flour and buttermilk! Right!

I cut them out, put them on a pan. Stuck them in the oven. I could just imagine them rising up and getting golden brown. The timer went off and I opened the oven door

And, these are the biscuits that looked back at me. Flat as a flitter. Nothing like I had thought I'd have. 


Let's just say that I am not Brenda Gantt (evidently) 

Oh, and by the way, I am retiring as a biscuit maker. Just thought I'd let you all know in case any of you were expecting some.


12 comments:

  1. Uh oh...I'm in trouble. I saw on the Pioneer Women channel she was making biscuits using 2 ingredients....whole cream and self rising flour. I bought the makings and plan to have them with sausage gravy and eggs one morning. Guess I better prepare myself mentally for eggs only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they look like yummy somethings! Wonder what went wrong.

    I do love Brenda Gannt and was happily watching on You Tube when I learned that those videos were stolen as Brenda only uses the FB platform. Since I refuse to do FB, I don't get to see her anymore. I have heard that she has a cookbook out, a very expensive one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually LOVE flat biscuit! Give me a tub of butter and I would be happy with these! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole cream and self rising flour recipe mentioned above works well for me. I don't use the one from Pioneer woman but the one I use is super simple and honesty never fails. I say get some whipping cream and try again. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'll bet you CAN be a successful biscuit maker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the giggle. That's my kind of baking. Flat! You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish your enthusiasm had paid off with fluffy biscuits, I was so sorry they didn't come out! Now I want to try it, just to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try it using Heavy Whipping Cream instead of milk. 2 cups self-rising flour sifted, 1 and 1/2 cups Heavy Cream. Stir well, roll out thick, cut out biscuits, bake at 400. If you have more than 8 biscuits, you rolled them out too thin. Everyone and everything deserves a second chance, so try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a fabulous biscuit recipe if you want one!
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA, I am not a very good cook:) At least you tried! We had biscuits for dinner last night (straight out of the bag of frozen Grands), hehe! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make biscuits and red eye gravy for my husband, I used the recipe on the back of the White Lily flour package. They were always ok but then anything tastes good with gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehehehe, thanks for sharing this funny story, we have all been there!! biscuits come frozen now, in a blue bag i think they are grands. they taste wonderful and what is lovely is you can cook one or five, whatever you need. that's what i use now!! no flour, no mess!!

    answering the question you asked on my blog: i used the weird looking tomatoes first because they don't work as well on a sandwich!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to make awful biscuits, and then I found a recipe that uses butter instead of shortening, and they usually turn out pretty good. I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.