Monday, November 4, 2019

Two Dear John Letters


As I said last Monday, each Monday I will doing a memory of mine. 

If you'd like to read that post click here. 


                    I had met my 'feller' and he'd gone off to be a sailor, all the way across the country.

I don't know where I got the idea I was the only girl he'd asked to write him. After all, it was his first time away from home and he'd be lonely so why not have a lot of letters at mail call? Right?

But, no, I thought I was the one and only even though we'd never dated at that time. Gee, I was so young and so 'green'.

                       Well, one day I am sitting in class behind a girl that I didn't know very well.
      Her name was Lola. And, I'm a giddy, silly girl and I brag to her that I am writing a SAILOR.

                                                         So, she says "Well, I am, too"

                                     I ask her who her sailor is and she says "Elbert Barton".

                                                                        "Me, too".

Oh boy, I was upset. He was writing us both. Guess what he got at mail call the next week?

                                                Yep... you are right. Two dear John letters.

         Lola may get what Lola wants in the song, but this Lola did not get Elbert Barton! I did.

Our class picture: I am 2nd in 1st row on left and she is last girl in row 3. Guess we'd gotten away from each other by the time for class pictures to be taken. he he.


Oh, BTW, the teacher is Lucille Smith who just happened to be George Lindsey's aunt. You remember "Goober" from Andy Griffith show, don't you? Well, he'd come into to her class room and pester her for money or other favors. He was so goofy even back then. He made us all laugh. She didn't laugh so much! 

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your stories!!!! MORE! More, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not sure what you put in your letter but it certainly did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really know how to write a Dear John since it got you the guy. Not sure that is how they are supposed to work but it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a cute story and photo to go with it. I wrote to a soldier in Vietnam for a while. I stopped getting letter at some point and always wondered what happened to him. Did you keep up with sailor over the years?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute story and I'm glad you got your guy ;).
    Interesting about the teacher's relationship to Goober.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you won his heart!
    And what a great memory of George Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So polite to both send Dear John letters - just think today it would be a 'get lost' text!
    This is going to be a wonderful series, great idea Memory Monday.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very entertaining story! Glad you got your sailor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now THAT's a memory for the books! I'm glad you were the winner (the little stinker!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.