Friday, November 1, 2019

Eastern Shore Entrees

I continue with our night at the book-signing/chefs gala.

For me, the star of the entrees was the salt-encrusted fish. I'd never seen that done before, nor had I tasted any fish prepared in that manner. It was fascinating to watch the chef fill the cavity of that fish with lemon and onion and then pack it in salt.



It was then placed on a flat metal surface over an open flame and baked for 20 minutes. 

Once done, the salt crust was broken and peeled away and the fish served. Yummy


There was Spot as well. Very bony so I didn't eat much of that. tiny, little bones. Scary. 
But, doesn't it make a pretty picture?


And, some said it was oyster pie but that wasn't on the menu so I don't know what it was. And, sweet potato biscuits with country ham and fig preserves. Now that was good.  I ate more than one!


I LOVE collards. And, they had the best collards I've had in a long, long time. Here the guys are setting the big black pot over the open flame and that pot is filled with yummy collard greens. 
They also served turnips and greens with a benne seed vinigrette. They were not quite as good but tasty anyway. And, potatoes roasted in a large grill. 

This is Hog Island sheep with Marsh Hen gravy. I didn't try that. Something about the Hog Island and sheep.. well, I sort of lost my appetite there for a minute. 

The Eastern Shore of Virginia has been for generations a source of seafood and fowl to prepare for the table. Surprisingly we had no fowl on the menu but it's a main staple for the residents. My granddaughter goes duck hunting with her husband then prepares them for a meal. She also will walk out of her house, across the yard with a fishing pole and catch their dinner off the pier. 


She's been married and living on the shore for less than a year and has fit into the culture there very well. I am so happy that she has found her happy place. 

8 comments:

  1. This is just wonderful! That fish looks fabulous. Oh, I'd love that dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fish looks so good. I would have loved it. We used to cook our blue fish we caught in the Chesapeake bay and flounder. Fileted it, with lemon and onion packed in foil packets cooked on top of a charcoal fire. Gosh it was good. The hog island sheep with the marsh hen gravy, oh no I am with you on that one. That would have turned me off right away. MY husband would have tried though.
    Your grand daughter sounds like my daughter. She has hunted deer, loves fishing and cooking on a grill. Your grand daughter is eating well. Good she enjoys her home and outdoors.
    Happy Week end to you
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how your granddaughter hunts and fishes for her dinner. We know its fresh! That salt crusted fish and the feast sound good. Once I cooked salt encrusted beef roast and that was delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure about the fish but I would have tried the sheep since I like lamb. How cool though for your daughter to walk out the door and catch dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! What a great adventure that meal was! You have a beautiful granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have enjoyed the fish especially the ones baked in salt. What a feast. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was some dinner, Latane, and there was always good eating when we were living on the VA eastern shore. Glad to read that your granddaughter is enjoying the lifestyle there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great time! That fish looks SO good! AND... collards are my fave! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.