Sunday, July 9, 2023

Take To The Skies

 I have some pictures taken out of a plane window, clouds so gorgeous and I got to thinking about how flying has changed over the years. 


The first flight I made was in 1953 with a 3 month old. Those were times not everybody was hopping on a plane to go somewhere.. Flying was a BIG DEAL and it was expensive! You got all dressed up and you were catered to so that you got to thinking you are a dang movie star! Of course, I had never flown before and you could say I was pretty nervous. But, I got there. 

Here is a picture of my Mom and step-dad in the early 1960s. I wish it was closer up so you could see that pretty frilly blue dress Mama had on, with her broad-brimmed hat and gloves, high heels. My step-dad in a suit with a white shirt and tie and his hat. I mean, you got dressed up to fly. And, you got food to eat on a plane, meat, salad, veggies and dessert! There was anywhere from 3-6" more leg room. It was fun back in those days. 


In 1957 I flew from Birmingham, Alabama to Honolulu, Hawaii ... with a 5 year old, a baby 13 months old and me 8 months pregnant. Now, that was a trip! This is the plane like we flew on.  Not very big for such a long flight. No jets, just propellers turning around and around. 


When we got to Honolulu we were met by my husband with leis to drape around our necks and big hugs and kisses. I wanted to see what the airport in Honolulu looked like back then 'cause I could not remember so I googled it. 
Just look at the greeters all lined up by the runway. Sure don't see that today! 


Six months later my husband got new duty (Navy) on Midway Island and we took off flying once again, only this time in a Military transport plane. No frills on that plane and it was a 1,034 mile journey with, by now, 3 children. But, hubby was along to help this time. 

Eighteen months later we headed back to Honolulu on this plane... I actually have a picture of it! Passengers loaded from the tail of the plane, I believe it was a military plane. 


And, I've flown dozens of times since, cross-country, up and down the east coast, to France, to Ireland. And, it seemed every time I flew things were getting worse. 
Now days, it's a nightmare. No fun anymore.

I have learned a bit about the life of a flight attendant, too, since my granddaughter-in-law-to-be is one. They used to call them stewardesses. 

A stewardess in the 1960s

An attendant in the 2020s 

 Not much has changed. They still have to wear hose and heels most of the time, have a perfect appearance including manicures, hairdos and such. Even the dress isn't that much different, just a tad shorter. 

I bet you didn't know that an attendant has to often get up at 3 or 4 in the morning, get herself to the airport only to discover the flight is delayed or cancelled... and she doesn't get any pay until that plane is in the air... so if she's sitting in the airport or on the runway waiting for it to take off, she's not getting paid. Passengers can complain all they want (and some of them do big time) but the attendants just have to smile and take it. 

Well, I have bored you long enough. 
Sorry about that.
Just feel so for us all because flying just isn't fun anymore! 


10 comments:

  1. That was very interesting. I didn't fly for the first time until I was in my 40's and was traveling to our sons military graduation. That was in 2004.
    I can't imagine traveling with 3 small kids like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband was in the Navy so I've flown quite a few places too with babies and on my own.
    The first picture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember flying with a 4 year old and a very small baby. We had to walk onto the tarmac and climb the steps. I was so thankful for the kind stranger who took my 4 yr old by the hand so I could concentrate on the baby and the diaper bag. Those were the days! Thanks for the memories. GM

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right... no fun flying anymore. I am still debating if I want to fly or drive on my next vacation:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruh-ro ... trying again. (Blogger's testing my patience this morning!)
    I can sure identify with everything you've said. Now retired, I've sworn off flying ever again. Isn't a shame, however, so many passengers have little to no pride in their appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very interesting. You have certainly had your flying experiences. I had a friend who was a stewardess with PanAm and used to listen to her stories. Flying is a whole different experience nowadays and not in a good way. I wish your future granddaughter-in-law a successful and happy career in those skies. Hopefully things will get better. Have a great week Latane :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very interesting post. My dad was a business man back in the 1950s and flew quite often...business trips to New York. When I was young, 12 or 13 maybe I dreamed of being an airline stewardest. Daddy asked one of the stewardesses on a flight if she would write to me. He gave her our address and I did get a letter, telling me all about being an airline stewardest. I was thrilled. I, of course, never became one, in fact, today I am scared to death to fly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember Pan American and I agree with you! Flying use to be fun...No more!
    Love the old photos!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Wouldn't let me sign in so your daughter is anonymous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have flown many times in my life but not lately. Flight attendants work really hard and I didn’t know that about their pay. Doesn’t seem fair but I guess they just do what they have to do. Enjoy your day dear friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.