Saturday, December 11, 2021

A Wedding like No Other!

 Yesterday would have been my and my sweet husband's 71st wedding anniversary. 


I lay in bed night before last, couldn't sleep, just thinking about that night 71 years ago. You see, we were supposed to be married on Dec. 9th at my house but both Elbert and I were underage and needed parent signatures to be married. Mom signed for me.... his dad refused to sign for Elbert. Well, I kind of can see why.

Elbert had already been in the Navy almost 3 years and was fighting in Korea when his Mom died. They were very close and one uncle set about pulling some strings to get Elbert home for the funeral. The funeral had taken place just a week earlier so sure they were all upset and not wanting to think of a wedding. But, we were young and headstrong so we took off for Columbus, Mississippi where we were told you could get married anytime of the day or night. No questions asked.

Elbert's cousin was driving us over. His wife's parents (the Harris's) lived near the state line so we would stop there to say hi to the old folks and then proceed to Columbus and get hitched. But, once we got to town we discovered that NO, you can not get married anytime. The courthouse, where we would get our license, was closed. But, come back tomorrow, even though it was Sunday. They'd be open then.
So, we headed back to spend the night with the Harris's.

The Harris' lived in this old unpainted clapboard house, heated only by fireplaces in each room and they had a roaring fire going in the living room. We all sat around chatting for awhile. Finally Mrs. Harris told us that she'd made a nice fire in the fireplace in the back bedroom for us. Elbert looked at me... I looked at him... long pause. What do we do? Finally Elbert said, 'We didn't get married.'
Elbert and I had never (well, you know) and we sure weren't going to now. It was an awkward situation so I was glad that he spoke up. She shooed Elbert and his cousin off to that nice bedroom while the cousin's wife and I slept on a pull out couch in the living room. We girls whispered for a few minutes and then the logs burned out in that fireplace and let me tell you, it was cold! I couldn't pull enough covers over me to keep from shivering. So, I curled up in a ball and went to sleep.

Next morning we took off again. First stop was the courthouse and getting that license. No problem. We were given the home address of a justice of the peace. It was in his living room where we said our vows, Elbert in his Navy uniform, me in a blue suit. Then we crawled into the cousin's old flivver and headed back to Alabama. It was a cold Sunday morning so naturally we snuggled together in the back seat. Least that's the excuse we gave!

It was an interesting start to our marriage but you know what... I never regretted it and doggone... we did what a lot of people didn't think we would and that is be happily married for over 60 years.

Last night I was lying there thinking.... about a lot.
First, I bet there isn't one in a million that hasn't had sex before marriage in this day and time. Back then, it was done but it sure was on the sly. Elbert and I thought we'd save that for our wedding night.
Second, why did Mrs. Harris give that nice, warm bed to the guys? Looks like it should have gone to us girls!
My, My, how times have changed.

8 comments:

  1. Love this story…I enjoy these blogs so much when the writers tell about their history…

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story! Funnily enough I was put up for adoption because I was the product of a one-night stand...
    I was married on Dec. 10th, the first time, in 1976. I was 19, and my mom sure didn't like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great read early Sunday morning - you are good to share your history with us Latane. What a wonderful man Elbert was, and of course he was very lucky to have you as such a beautiful, special wife for so many years. So glad it all worked out. These days marriage is very different and people often give up too quickly.

    Take care, enjoy those memories - they mean so much and we who can recall our history and the people we have met and loved along the way over the years, are really fortunate.
    Again you have shared that beautiful photo - I always love seeing it.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo of the two of you. I loved reading this story. Your husband sounds like a wonderful man and I'm so glad you had 60 years together. Enjoy the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    Live Soccer
    Live football

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story. I love the picture of the two of you. There's clearly so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recounting of the special day, Mom! You and Dad had a shaky start but it lasted and lasted. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your memory of getting married. Bless you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.