Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Let's Party - It's Mardi Gras


Let's Party!!

Eat lots of food, sing and dance in the streets, wear our Mardi Gras beads. 

Did you bake a cake with a baby inside?

No, not a real baby. A tiny plastic one and whomever gets that piece of cake with the baby in it ... I think they get a prize or the cake or something. I've never even had Mardi Gras cake!

But, it sound like fun. 

Did you know that Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday?
It's the last night that you supposedly can eat all the fatty food you wish before you fast for Lent.

I don't fast for Lent so that doesn't work for me. 
I did have a huge juicy Whopper and Fries yesterday for lunch. 
Does that count?

Here's a wee bit of history.

I'm from Alabama originally and I knew that Mobile has a Mardi Gras celebration and was the first to celebrate Mardi Gras.
New Orleans is the place you think of, though, isn't it?

On March 2, 1699, French-Canadian explorer Jean Baptiste Le Moyne Sieur de Bienville arrived at a plot of ground 60 miles directly south of New Orleans, and named it "Pointe du Mardi Gras" when his men realized it was the eve of the festive holiday. Bienville also established "Fort Louis de la Louisiane" (which is now Mobile) in 1702. In 1703, the tiny settlement of Fort Louis de la Mobile celebrated America's very first Mardi Gras.
                                             How about that! 

With Google you can learn something new every day... or every minute if you don't have anything else to do. 

7 comments:

  1. I grew up calling today Shrove Tuesday. My mother would make fausnachts - doughnuts in PA Dutch. Not sure what to give up for lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the cake with the baby at a party but never been to Mardi Gras. Sounds like fun though. Yes we can find out a lot by searching on Google. Enjoy your evening dear friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Mardi Gras and it was fun but I wouldnt go again...once is enough! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always thought I'd like to go to Mardi Gras but so far haven't made it. Guess I'd better get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting Mardi Gras facts. We call it Shrove Tuesday in the UK and always made pancakes (thin crepe style) sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice. I made some for dessert last night, good but not as good as those my dear Mum made when I was a child! Some English towns have 'Pancake Day' races where people run through the streets tossing them in the skillet along the way!

    Enjoy your day Latane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do the lent thing either. But oh my, that whopper and fries sounds so delicious! This is very interesting history. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No cake baking here with or without a plastic baby inside, but I made a blueberry loaf for our dominoes group today. We may be doing a fast during Lent as a weight loss technique.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.