Saturday, February 1, 2020

Birds and Butterflies


We have had a night of rain, now I am hoping for some sunshine!

It's February

Can you believe it?

Time just stepped on slick ice and is sliding away. 

Anyway, we shouldn't complain. We are alive and breathing and I hope we all are well. 

Yesterday a group of us loaded up in the van (it holds 14) and headed out on a Wild Bird Adventure and lunch at Tequila Flats.

Well, I should have taken a picture of my chimichonga (oh heck, I don't know how to spell that but you know what I am talking about) but I scarfed a good portion of it right down. Brought the rest home for dinner last night. 

Then we walked down the block to a Wild Bird store. They have supplies and gifts. I have a bird identification book that I have used for ages. I mark in it the place and date when I see a new bird. But, I just had to have this one.


It is so easily used and understood. Thanks Stan Tekiela whomever you are!

The birds are grouped by color. Well, yes, isn't that what you see first when you spot a bird? 
And, just look at how easy it is to read the info. 


I saw a Kingbird a couple of years ago here at the apartment complex.


Oh, and I am always wondering what kind of butterfly I am looking at.
Not that I see a lot of butterflies anymore.
So, I bought this fold out Pocket Guide to help me along.



My day was filled with fun, food and finds yesterday.
How was yours?

12 comments:

  1. You know how much I love and enjoy caring for my garden birds, and I always use Stan Tekiela's book 'Birds of the Carolinas' - it's awesome. You made the right choice picking this book for your area Latane, it's easy to use and full of well organized info. - and yes, I find the color coordination so helpful. Of course, as we are in adjoining states, I'm certain we see many of the same wild birds.
    BTW - Stan's photo and bio should be on the last page of the book - mine has it.

    Glad you had such a great day out. Rained here yesterday afternoon too but now dry and warmer days with highs in low 70's coming again - I really wish it would stay chilly as I'm a winter gal!!!
    Have a fun weekend.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birds grouped by color is a brilliant idea. Fun,food and finds is a pretty perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having leftovers when we go out to eat. I think they taste even better the second day! Those are nice field guides and I bet you will have fun with them. We bought one like your butterfly one for dragonflies. So far we have scored a big fat zero in identifying the ones in our yard, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Stan Tekiela was (is I imagine) a member of the same Audubon bird club as I was in Minnesota. He led lots field trips I went on and was just a thoroughly nice and friendly man to those of not quite a knowledgeable as him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim always enjoyed watching the birds and I am the butterfly gal. Glad you had a fun trip to get books on both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a similar book on Mississippi birds (but with a different author). Then I discovered that we have a lot of migratory birds passing through on their way to the Gulf Coast, so I bought a Birds of North America published by the Audubon Society. It is a small size easy to carry around, but much thicker.
    I rely on a website to ID butterflies - when I am quick enough to get a photo!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new books look very interesting. I have bird books, but not a butterfly book. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect day! You just gave me an idea for a gift for my husband's upcoming birthday...a bird identification book. I'm going to try to find one about birds here in GA. We have bird feeders in the backyard that my husband fills religiously and we so much enjoy the birds who come to visit. My husband (unlike me) can name most of them but occasionally a stranger shows up. Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunshine, birds and butterflies are a great way to start this day:) I have bird and butterfly books, I love seeing what kind I am seeing! I hope you have a wonderfully blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had a wonderful bird trip. It's always fun to do things with a group of people interested in the same thing. You do keep active and don't sit around getting bored. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I struggle to see but still have enough vision to be curious about nature.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.