Monday, December 9, 2019

The Scary Snake House


                       There is nothing any more scary than the snake house at the San Diego zoo.

                                                                    I kid you not.

While I was in San Diego for those three weeks before the ship pulled out, we had rented 'one room'. (For the story about why I was in San Diego click HERE.) There were 2 or 3 other rooms along the hall that were rented out, as well. Perfect for short term visits. Would not have worked long term.

Millie and her husband (another sailor) lived in the room next to us. We girls started hanging out together while our husbands were busy doing sailor duty.


(me and Millie on the roof of our building having a fun time)

I mean what can you do all day long in a bedroom? Make the bed, pick up the clothes, .... well, that took 15 minutes of a live-long day. So, we'd walk around the neighborhood, go to the store and one day Millie got the bright idea that we girls should go to the zoo.

So, we hopped on a bus and go to the zoo. We walked all over the place, saw the bears, the monkeys, the birds ... and then Millie says "Let's go in the snake house".


That wasn't the greatest idea anyone ever had. I have always been afraid of snakes. I don't like them and they don't like me! But, being a good friend, I went along with her. I mean there were some big snakes in there. My skin crawled just seeing them through the glass. I could tell she was pretty creeped out looking at those big old snakes, too but we both were acting brave. I mean you don't want to admit to someone else that a snake that can't get to you... scares the beegeebees outta you.

Our guys had duty that night so when Millie and I got back to our little side by side abodes we each went into our own place. I was asleep when I heard someone banging on my door. What the dickens? It's Millie. She's white as a sheet.

"There's something or someone in my room. I'm scared to death. Can I sleep with you?"

So, I crawled over. Here I am, sharing my bed with a girl I haven't known but a week or two. That was weird. By daylight she cautiously headed back to her room.

Soon she's back over at my place, looking rather sheepish, if I do say so myself.

In her search for what had scared her the night before, she found a picture on the floor behind her bed, broken frame and glass everywhere. There was no buggar, no snake, no nothing. We sure didn't dare tell our hubbies what scaredy cats we had been. And, we stayed away from the zoo from then on. 

8 comments:

  1. I love the picture of you and Millie on the rooftop. I was never so slender as the two of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful photo of you and Millie. I loved this story, and can't wait to read the next one. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ---but something broke the picture. Probably not a snake though. How nice that you two had each other to pal around with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting story! Love the photo of you and Millie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those memories are priceless. I know you and Millie had a great time filling the days and nights:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amniotes covered by overlapping scales like all other squamates הדברה לבניין

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insect pest control is a necessity that can be done either chemically or organically. Chemical methods may be harmful for you and your family while organics methods are safer. These methods are also cheaper and effective in insect pest control. Several methods are discussed in the article that can help you get rid of the insect menace. עורך דין לענייני סטארט אפ

    ReplyDelete
  8. amniotes covered by overlapping scales like all other squamates Dog hair dryers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.