She's my sidekick and my "partner in crime"
She's had such a rough time of it lately. I was worried about her. She fell some time ago and ended up with bursitis in her leg so she has been having to have steroid shots in that leg ever so often.
So, she went in for a shot just over a month ago and the next day there was a knot just below the shot site so she called the dr and they told her that it was a hematoma, that likely the PA who had administered the shot, likely nicked a vein. That the blood would be absorbed back in to her body.... but it would take some time.
The knot got bigger. She was a lot of pain, got to where she was having difficulty walking and could bear no pressure on that area. And, it continued to worsen. Trips to the dr. ... tests done... etc, etc, etc and all the while she is getting worse and worse.
Well, to make a long story short..
Her dr. sent her to a large hospital in a nearby city to have that 'hematoma' drained on Friday. It was not a hematoma!! It was an infection that had grown to the size of my hand on her upper thigh. In all likelihood caused by a compromised needle or medicine (steroid) that was used.
Thank God, she is already much better and is now able to do some chores around the house.
It is scary that someone who is supposed to make you well can cause such painful results because of negligence but it happens. My son and I thinks she ought to sue but she's not sure. She's not a 'sueing' type of person. We'll see.
.jpg)
Oh my goodness! This is scary stuff, so glad she finally got it figured out. My daughter Evelyn had a baby last Saturday, went home with little Bridget, had a terrible headache...sought treatment, was given migraine meds...then ended up going by ambulance to the hospital a few days later...she had seizures, it was thought she was having strokes as she lost vision in one eye, blood pressure sky high...she ended up having eclampsia/step syndrome...but the first hospital they sent her to neglected to give her the Kepra/magnesium drip they were supposed to administer...when she was transferred to a different hospital, she was in rough shape because she never got those meds...it's maddening, but it happens. She is much better now, should have no lasting damage, the brain swelling has gone down, ect. (And I got to take care of a teeny tiny newborn granddaughter:)). I will pray for your dear daughter, Latane, and for you too...I love visiting you here. :)
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are with your daughter and that sweet baby. Little ones are so precious. I am thankful that your daughter got the help that she needed.And, thanks for visiting my blog.
DeleteI'm so sorry she's gone through all this! I'm glad they found the problem and am praying she is soon feeling better.
ReplyDeleteThat's a lovely photo of your daughter but goodness, I am so sorry she's had such a hard time of it and praying she heals quickly. This is a good thing to know if ever we come across this in ourselves or in others. Thanks for sharing Latane and all my best to you and your daughter and continued prayers for you both.
ReplyDeletePoor Shirley! What an awful experience for her and seemingly avoidable. It's so scary when these things happen. No doubt she and your whole family are more than relieved that she's on the mend.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I'm so glad that Shirley kept following up with the Drs. and a big thank you for warning us to not always believe what medical professionals tell us is always correct. Always question it or keep Drs. informed if things don't get better.
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrifying experience -- both for Shirley and those of y'all who love her. Lifting prayers for discernment and healing!
ReplyDeleteOh that's terrible.
ReplyDeleteAccidents happen and sometimes they happen too often. I wouldn't sue myself but I'd definitely lodge a complaint. I'd want some answers so this couldn't happen to someone else.
Oh my gosh, that is so scary! It's sad they misdiagnosed her, I hope they apologized. Glad she's finally on the mend!
ReplyDeleteIndeed a scary situation for your daughter and you. While it was good news to read that she was finally diagnosed correctly that doesn’t excuse the medical professionals who goofed and in my opinion, she should take some action once she is feeling much better.
ReplyDeleteSo happy she is getting better, but I would definitely let the office where she got that shot, what has happened and perhaps change to a different Doc!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to read that she's better now.
ReplyDeleteOh, my! what a scary development. Infections are nothing to ignore. Years ago my husband ended up in the hospital for a week with one that started in his elbow.
ReplyDeleteSomebody in that Dr. office made a big mistake!
Ugh, what a scary and painful experience. Thank goodness she did not give up on an answer and I hope she is well on her way to feeling better! You need that Sidekick!
ReplyDeleteI was diagnosed with uterine cancer in April this year.
ReplyDeleteI went into the hospital for a total hysterectomy. They told me I
Would be in the hospital two hours for the surgery and than two hours in recovery.
I came out of anesthesia and they could've stop me from vomiting.
They kept me two days and sent me home. The pain was so severe I couldn't move.my husband is a nurse so he called my surgeon.
She said I'd have pain to rest
I endured the pain because I believed my doctor.
I spiked a fever the pain got worse.
They took me to the ER because of the fever.
The ER left me lying in the bed for several hours. I pressed the call light non stop.
No one came. I yelled for help and they walked past the room.
I had severe diarrhea from all the drugs they gave me
I threw empty contrast bottles out the door. No one came.
I lost control of my bowels in the bed.
Kept yelling help me.
I finally had to crawl down n the bed using my cane. I got up and yelled out the door for help. My nurse came in saw me covered in urine and poo.
She handed me a baby wipe and walked out. I was very sick and drugged and she didn't clean my surgical wounds.
I cleaned myself as best I could.
I had poo all over my surgical incisions.
Someone came and took me too a room
Upstairs.
My husband showed up at dawn very angry.
I apparently texted him what was going
On in the ER..
He went to administration.
They assured him they were looking into it immediately.
I got sent home and in 46 hours I was back in the hospital with a raging fever and pain
It turned out the doctor doing the robotic surgery had nicked my intestines.
That caused a 11 cm abscess.
I had ecoli growing in my blood and urine
From the poo that got into my surgical incisions. I also had sepsis.
They had to do another surgery and put a drain into my abdomen.
They cut a hole in my butt and shoved a drain into it. This was beyond painful.
I could not sit or lay down it was horrible.
They did procedure after procedure.
They kept starting IV after IV my arms were swollen from infiltration into the tissue.No one told me my bowel was nicked. My husband had to go get a copy of my op report to find out.
This horror show went on for more than a month. I was in the hospital.
They blew all my veins and had to put in a PICC line.
I had to be on home health are for another month and IV antibiotics at home.
To top that all off when the home health nurse tried to change the PICC line dressing she accidentally yanked the dressing off too hard and pulled the pic line out. So back to the ER to get another pic. Line put in. I am telling you all this as a cautionary tale. This is only part of what happened to me. My husband was watching over my care but couldn't be there every minute.
If he hadn't been watching over me I don't know if I'd have made it. He intervined
several times..
Make sure you just don't assume the doctor is right .
That it's in your head.
If your suffering get a second opinion.
If you have to have surgery make sure you have someone to advocate for you.
I worked in an emergency room for 25 years. Medical care is not what it used to be. It is all for profit nowadays.
Be careful.