Sunday, January 26, 2020

Time Changes Things

                                           How time changes things.

For years I have shared my recipes with my children and grandchildren. They all are great cooks. Have no idea what they want with MY recipes!! They've got me beat.

My son Michael lives in Alabama. He lives alone, is an excellent cook and uses his weekends to cook meals for the coming week so he won't have to cook after he gets in from work. Smart move!!

We always chat over the phone on Saturday mornings, catching up, just enjoying hearing each others voices. 💕 So, he's telling me that he had just made a big pot of cabbage soup. I love cabbage in my vegetable soup so I asked him what all he put in it. He starts calling off... carrots, celery, onion, cabbage of course. I store this info in my wobbly brain so I can make some for myself later on.

                                       In awhile my phone pings. 

He's sent me his recipe for his cabbage soup and then texts "This is different, me sending you recipes, Mom" 

                                       Yep, time changes things. 



Michael started cooking when he was about eleven. His specialty was Crazy Crust Apple Pie. The recipe was on the bag of flour. Here it is... taped to a index card, after all these years. 



      You can tell this recipe has been used and used and used again. Wonderful with ice cream. I don't have a photo of him cooking at that age but here is one of him doing the dishes when he was a tad younger. 



7 comments:

  1. Those old recipes are the best! And the memories that go with them are priceless!
    I have a pineapple upside-down cake recipe I got from a box of cake mix that is very good. But now that cake mixes have been down-sized from 18 oz. to 15 oz, I don't know if it would still be as good as it was. Since I am diabetic, I don't cook cakes as much as I used to.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my kids are great cooks. My son once had a pizza shop, my grandson is a chef, my brother used to be a chef, etc. I'm not much of a cook anymore now that I'm only cooking for me. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous story and love the photo of Michael!

    I've shared recipes with the kids and grandkids, even given cooking lessons over the years.
    Now it seems these younger generations are buying a lot of prepared meals from groceries and other outlets - not even cooking their dinners from scratch. So sad, they don't know what they're missing chopping fresh vegs, stirring their soup, bringing together a delicious HEALTHY meal for their family or self. I feel lack of time is not an excuse - perhaps dump the TV in every room and hide the phone for a while, make time, feel better and live longer!!!!!

    Hugs to you Latane.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute photo, especially the apron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo and the recipe. It looks like one I could adapt for my crockpot cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a very talented son. The soup sounds so good as I love cabbage anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I talk about recipes with my four sons all the time! It's so funny....we swap tips! Cute photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.