Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Appetizers, Anyone?

I don't care what age you are....

Everyone needs to do things that are 'out of the box'.

And, Saturday night Dau. Shirley and Gdau. Brittany and I attended something we had never experienced before.


There is a lot to cover so expect more than one post on this....

Brittany married a wonderful young man from the Eastern Shore of Virginia (last year). The Eastern Shore has been 'calling to me' ever since Elbert and I moved to Va. 20 years ago. Every time I'd say I wanted to go Shirley would say, 'There's nothing over there'. And, so we didn't go.

Now it seems we are finding lots of fun things to do there as well as having family there.

Okay, hold your horses, I'm getting to it...

Saturday night we attended a book-signing/chef's gala at the Chatham Vineyards.

Chatham Vineyards

The book is "A South You Never Ate" by Bernard Herman. It's filled with stories of all the foods that have made up the Eastern Shore fare for generations and he throws in some recipes along the way.


There were four or five (I forget how many) chefs that prepared food for over 200 guests that was indicitive of the region.

The author speaking about his book

                                            Just let me start you off with some of the appetizers.

                                       A raw bar...I do NOT eat raw so no sampling for me!


                                          And, a lovely table of cheese, breads and crackers.
             

Plates of Deviled Crab Tostados were passed around. I loved those. Had more than one!! 😋


There was clam ceviche served on a bed of seaweed. 


And, clam fritters served with the most amazing mustard! 


Smoked Tomato Juice with a sprig of celery and the glasses rimmed with bay seasonings. 


Okay, that's a sampling of the appetizers

Tune in later for the next installment "The Main Entrees"
You won't be disappointed. 
I promise.



7 comments:

  1. I'm with you - no raw unless it's sushi, and even then I am pretty picky. The clam fritter sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No raw for me either. Those clam fritters would be so good to have right now. I love clams, and especially clam chowder.
    Looking forward to main entrees. Meanwhile I will be looking for the recipe for clam fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun thing to do!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a lot of fun. I'm not sure about the raw but if it's straight from the sea, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a wonderful time. Great food and beautiful scenes. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your visit. Have a blessed day, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun experience and definitely out of the box. Did you eat the seaweed? You had me at clam fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seafood... mostly crab, but used to eat raw oysters all the time growing up in New Orleans. But no more (afraid that raw is not always good). Looking forward to the entrees!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.