Sunday, October 4, 2020

A Rocket in the Sky.

 In these later years, since I have more time to devote to myself, I have loved doing things for the first time. It may not be on my bucket list but it's marked off it anyway. 

Shirley told me that the Antares rocket was going to launch (if nothing happened) on Thursday night. I should go out on my balcony to see if it was visible from my apartment. 

Well, I'm in my jammies, pulled on some socks and went out the door with my camera in hand. I waited a few minutes and lo and behold.... there it was.... an orange streak in the night sky. We do have tall pines trees lining our driveway so I didn't have much time to get any pictures but I did get one that I want to share with you. 


It was pretty exciting. I'd seen the space station before but I had never seen a rocket on it's way to the station! So, mark that one off. 

Did you get to see it? It shot off from the Nasa facility at Wallops Island on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. 104 miles from me (as the crow flies. Alexa told me that! 😊)

That rocket was carrying 10 tons of gear, food and even a space toilet. Guess theirs wore out???? Now, they have a new one. 

I used Adobe Photoshop to enhance the photo a bit to see if I could get it clearer. Here is what I came up with.  See the trees.... it wasn't long until the rocket was behind those and I lost all sight of it. But, hey, I got to see it! A first! 


Hey, and see that bright spot just above the clouds. That's Mars.



 In a previous rocket shot to Mars my son-in-law had all his family names put on board and the info was left there on the red planet. Hope whoever lands on Mars can read English! What if it's an alien... πŸ˜‰


4 comments:

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.