Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Wellness Check

 It's and my Medicare Wellness check-up rolled around today.

I think it is absolutely marvelous that Medicare schedules wellness check ups. It makes me feel like they care about my staying healthy rather than curing me after I am sick. 




Frankly, I was just counting the days until the appointment was due. July 20th I had a bout of vertigo and have not been able to get rid of the headaches since then. 

I could have gone to the doctor before now... but sometimes a person just gets stubborn. Not so much stubborn maybe as not knowing what to say or questions to ask.  So, I waited until I had to go.

Last year I was diagnosed with Spinal stenosis...in the 3-5 vertibrae, So, I am wondering, "is my headaches caused by the vertigo, the stenosis or bad sinuses". 

I had gotten pretty down about it all...the headaches were constant but there was nobody to blame but myself that it wasn't being taken care of. 

But, back to today. My dr. wasn't sure what was making my head hurt all the time. So, we are tackling it one thing at a time. She put me on antibiotics for sinus infections. If that doesn't clear up this muddled head of mine then we will pursue the next thing on the list. 

Do you ever do that? Put off going to a doctor 'cause you can't really go in the office and say "I have a broken finger, a black eye, a stomach ache, a pain in my chest"?  Seems like we need to identify the pain before we seek help.  But, isn't that what the doctor is supposed to do? Tell us what is wrong, not the other way around. 

I need to make myself more accountable for my health. "At THIS age" I don't need to be second guessing. Say a prayer and keep your fingers crossed that it is the sinuses that are the culprit ... Doc says that if it's the stenosis, there's not much they can do except for shots and surgery . That didn't sound good at all! So I vote for sinus~~

6 comments:

  1. I'm like you about going to the doctor! I hope your problem gets resolved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vertigo is nothing to mess with. I'm glad your doctor is starting to work on it. Don't miss your follow-ups. I think we all like to think if enough time goes by our bodies will heal themselves. I have discovered that my doctor has a nurse practitioner who is a lot cheaper to go to and now I don't put things off as long. She's easier to get appointments with too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about avoiding the doctor visits! For me it was the dentist. I knew I had a problem with one of my teeth, but the discomfort was not bad, so I waited. The tooth broke! I had to have a root canal and a crown. Now I wonder if I had gone to him sooner... maybe just a filling?
    Hope you have a good day and the vertigo and headaches are cured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you and your doctor are finally tackling the problem and really hope it is a simple fix. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had my Wellness Check-up too. And I did the same. Waited until it was due to checkup on my coughing, headaches, etc. Also used my doctor's Nurse Practitioner... she is great.
    And I do the opposite, try to get all the 'bad' reasons for symptoms eliminated, then don't worry about the other possibilities. But I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We generally avoid dr visits as well, and thankfully have not had very many medically necessary ones this year. We also had the annual Medicare Wellness check-up in July. Hope your headaches are only sinus-related, latane.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.