Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Leaving a Legacy

I believe that I told you I'd share some info with you about 'getting your ducks in a row' before you go. The book "A Beginner's Guide to the End" was very helpful. I got some ideas from it plus some from other sources plus just plain old experience of my own. Take it for what it's worth. The book was really good, my two cents worth may not be worth much. 😀

The first thing they suggested was getting rid of clutter. We all need to do that. Just think of what a mess your kids will have when they come back to your home  and have to decide what to do with all your belongings, all your collections, all your junk... you don't want to do that to them, do you? No, I didn't think so. So, start now. A little at a time. As they say, "every little bit helps."


Then the book talked about "leaving a legacy". Oh my gosh... I have been so into that for years and years. Every family story I heard I wrote down, I made tapes, videos, wrote books. Here's a book that was published in 1991 that I wrote that held copious amounts of family history from my husbands side. 



I sure am not telling you to go out a publish a book. No, no. 

I have so much genealogy. All on my computer. My children are going to know where they 'came from'. 




I have journals that I have kept off and on for most of my life.
Here are a few of them... just my feelings written down in black and white composition notebooks. You don't have to be fancy.



Maybe you aren't into all that. But, it might be a new hobby for you, something to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon. You can't get those stories if you wait until those people are gone. Go see old Aunt Bessie, talk to great-uncle Henry, and don't forget to write your own stories down. Or tape them, put them on your phone.         
                                                   Whatever it takes.  
                                                          Do it now. 


8 comments:

  1. You are a woman after my own heart. I love leaving family history behind in books. Every other generation cares about genealogy and I believe in making it easy to find for those who come looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dilemma is whether to destroy my diaries or not. I have been honest about my feelings in my very personal diaries which will have the potential to hurt my nearest and dearest. I am not ready to let them go yet but i often wonder how long i should hold onto them. I constantly forget things and my diaries are my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cut damaging pages out of my diaries already leaving all the fun stuff and my feelings that won't hurt others. I just felt it was time but I'm faced with old age and you just never can tell.

      Delete
  3. Since my husband of 45 years died in 2016 I am thinking about these things more including writing a small book with family history and anecdotes in it, which my adult children have asked for. That is a great legacy. I aim to give one to each of my kids, to my sister and donate one to the genealogy section of our public library. I love all your years of journals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was challenged to do a 100 days thing where you commit to do something, anything, for 100 days. I first thought I would make 100 days’ worth of water colors but then I decided instead to write one little anecdote a day about my grandmother for my daughters to have someday instead. You sound so much more ambitious, but I figure at least it’s a start! It’s so easy to do I am likely to do another one, maybe 100 anecdotes from my dad next! The

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just took 4 large leaf plastic bags full of STUFF to Goodwill...cleaning clothes closets, linen closets,drawers...why do i saVE things I never use??? My worst fear is having my kids have to deal with clutter and stress. My mom had things all neat and tidy and my brother and I went thru things with ease. I want my kids to do the same. If any of my kids or grands ever say "OOO, I like that", I give it to them right then...none of this "wait till I die and you can have it"..no sir!!

    My cousin has all our family history on computer and I have copies for my kids. Also, with them being right here close, I tell them stories as I think of them. Son not as interested as daughter but he might be some day.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saving family history is good and I now have old photos that I never saw until my mother died. The sad part is that no one else will want them. My nieces are both adopted and never knew their paternal grandfather or great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the gradual process of getting rid of stuff and all my work is in print and stored on the bookshelf. Having done all that I don't think there is anything my son or stepdaughter would want to keep. Sad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.