Sunday, August 18, 2019

A New Project

My daughter called me and she said, "Mom, you and I have a new project." (She's one of those gals that is happiest doing projects). 

"What you got?" I ask

"I saw this book and I got to thinking. I don't know much about what I would do if J (hubby) is gone. I don't know where things are. So, let's order this book and see if we can get our 'lives in order'.




I have a Will.... a Power of Attorney.... a Medical Directive

I'm good. They are stored in my file cabinet so I am all set. But, I play along and order the book. 

Whoa!! What an eye-opener. 

Nobody wants to talk about dying, especially these younger folks. My daughter's in her 60s. My youngest will hit that mark in a short period of time. Do they have wills, a medical directive? Where will they be buried? Do they have insurance? I mean, being alive doesn't mean you will be ....until you're 90. Things happen. 

There is so much more that I need to do 'before I go'. I am reading that book and I am making a list... well, several lists actually so that I will be so organized when my time comes that my kids are gonna be standing around, blowing their noses into kleenex and smelling copious amounts of carnations! Funeral homes always smell like carnations! 

And, they will say, 'Wasn't Mom sweet to have all of this planned out and organized so that we don't have to worry about it now".

Well, isn't that what your Mom has done all her life? Except there was a bunch of stuff I didn't even know about.

I probably will address some of the things from my lists on this blog from time to time. As we age, we just think our work is over and done with! Evidently, I know I did! So, I am going to get to work on mine because I want to leave my children with loving thoughts, great memories and time to heal, unencumbered with details, after I am gone. 

Oh, besides the info in the book, I am also using some material from some excellent websites I found online. 

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I want to know more, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you will post more info about this book.
    Though personally, I am hoping for the Rapture for me and all my family. Whoever is left behind, can fight over my stuff!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met with a lawyer to get my "stuff" in order, all in one place, like you said to make it easy on my children. That book sounds helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this book Latane. We think we have everything covered but from your own experience we had better think again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for providing helpful and useful information, Latane, as always.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.