Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Life In The Fast Lane at Age 85

Living in a 55+ apartment complex has been quite a learning experience for me. My friend S says I should write a book. I tell her I am busy writing another kind of book, that she should do it. And, we laugh about it and neither one of us would do it. We are scared of getting into trouble.



There was the woman who cooked food and took orders from the other residents although we aren't supposed to have solicitors. But, she's no longer living here, seems she took a dislike to another person and started screaming at her every time she laid eyes on her. 

And, there was the gentleman who was cleaning his gun and ... well, he had to move, too.

There's the rules that we are supposed to abide by. Seems they are just for some people. Others get away with breaking them. 

For the time Leslie lived we were quite an item. Him on one end of the building, me three floors up at the other end but we'd get caught sneaking out of each other's apartments and boy, would we get teased. And, of course, there was talk.



Now, there's another couple who has replaced us.. On again, off again and all of a sudden they are married. Seems she wanted things legal. And, on their wedding day, the rescue squad came. Seems the groom fell and the bride couldn't get him up out of the floor. What a honeymoon. 



Little romances pop up from time to time. Guess that's bound to happen. But, they soon fizzle out. Men want someone to take care of them. 


Women want their independence. Usually the women win. 

A new couple moved in recently. Our first homosexual couple, at least as far as I know. I mean, I have only been here five years.. who knows what went on before I got here. 

We've seen people move in that needed to be in a nursing home. And, yet we have a large number who are up and out of here early headed to work. 

We'll notice an apartment empty.. that person went home to the Lord. And, sometimes they just move out of here and in with their children. I don't know of a one who is happy when that happens but you do what you have to. 

I think about when I will have to leave here. Will I move to a nursing home, to my home in the sky or in with one of my kids... whoa, wait a minute. That's not on my list. And I wonder about a nursing home. Will fights break out, will couples fall in love, will some guy be broken-hearted 'cause his sweetie rather sleep by herself. Life has it's drama, doesn't it. No matter where you live or how long you live. 

I'll keep you posted on any new developments around our complex. I am sure something else interesting will happen soon. 



10 comments:

  1. The rumor mills must work great in the 55+ communities. I can't wait to find out because I need more blogger fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob has refused any thoughts to move to such a place - I would prefer an easier to care for condo - but the way things look we are stuck here. That means serious garden help including tree removal. . . . . . . or we may just sell up, rent places in parts of the world we love - three months here or there, 6 months somewhere else etc. - or take a round the world cruise which repeats and keep on going until we can no longer keep going ourselves, haha!

    Your place does sound interesting - just be sure to keep your door locked dear friend!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Latane, just noticed your awesome list on your sidebar - love it!

      Delete
  3. A fun post!
    My aunt lives in a senior citizens apartment building in Arkansas. I went to her 87th birthday party recently, and met some of her neighbors - very friendly people. Now when I think of you, I imagine your apartment is much like hers, except you have a balcony!
    Have a blessed day!
    PS. Her apartment has a generous size living room, a small kitchen, good size bedroom, and very nice bathroom, and is on the second floor of her building with a view out to the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, I have a nice sized living/dining room, a small kitchen, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. I absolutely love it. The extra bedroom is my office... with a rollaway bed in there for company.

      Delete
  4. I imagine that living in one of those communities would give you plenty of fodder for a book.. but I agree that you would have to be careful. And I love your list on the sideboard! I too have a list... but not nearly that long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite an interesting place you live in. Enjoyed reading about it. You should write a book :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Use a pen name, disguise the characters and go for it. You certainly have the material.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a fun read! With so many different personalities, it's bound to be interesting! lol
    I hope you have a nice upcoming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehehehe, i found this quite funny, you have a great sense of humor. you are a writer latane, and i enjoy reading your work...and yes, you should write a book!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.