Saturday, August 10, 2019

Me and My Computer

                                                Once upon a time - long, long ago.

                                                        I bought a computer


                                           I'd never seen one, much less touched one. 


                                         I took that thing home, took it out of it's box.


                                            I stared at it..... it stared right back at me. 


                                                        What Had I Done?


 I called my son who lived several hundred miles away and said, 'Son, your Mama just bought herself a computer. Can you tell me how to get it running?"

I took a DOS class. Remember when you had to run your computer with DOS? Nah, probably not. Most people aren't as old as mud like me. I got so frustred that I told the instructor that I was going to throw my computer out the window. But, I stuck in there. Got an A but I think the instructor was just glad to get rid of me.


I wrote my first book on that computer. The manuscript was printed off on a Dot Matrix printer. Bet you never heard of that one, either.





I spent years entering copious amounts of genealogy on that machine. 


I got an acct on My space , a precursor to Face Book. I didn't like it.


Then Facebook came along and in Dec of 2008, I joined that. Facebook was fun, a way to connect with family and friends. I'm still on it. 


A friend told me about blogs. So, I started my first blog in either 2007 or 2008. It soon became a documentary of my and Elbert's struggles with his Alzheimers. I made some wonderful friends through blogging. We supported each other through the worst time in our lives. All these years later we still stay in touch. The blog has evolved over the years and still brings me joy and friendship.


I tried my hand at Twitter. Hated it! 


I heard about Instagram so after I figured out how to post my pictures on there, I loved it. You see, I'm still very much connected to my big, old computer with the mega monitor. I can't stand using my tiny screen on my phone to do anything! Old people get stuck in their own ruts... that's' mine.


My grandchildren, all grown with kids of their own love to tell their friends that their Grandmother does all these things on the computer. But, I have never been afraid of it, although at times I still want to throw it out the Window. 

5 comments:

  1. I've got a similar history with computers and blogging and caregiving. I'd be lost without my connection to the world through blogs. I also hate Twitter. It took me too long to learn how to write to start condensing down to however many characters they allow now. Never took to Instagram but I don't have kids or grandkids to follow so that might be why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO remember DOS! And I love my computer... although it does frustrate me at times. There was the time it lost a whole chapter ending of a story I had written (I cried). Now I know to backup my work. I've never used My Space, but do use Facebook - although mainly to see pictures posted by family members. Have never used Twitter or Instagram - although my grand daughter does. Took to online journaling - and then found my niche with blogging. Love blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love/hate my computer but do know I'm addicted. Take it away for fixing and I'm pacing the floor. Don't use any of the other social media outlets. My niece set me up with a fictitious FB account so I could keep up with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blog, Facebook, and Email; that's enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post, Latane, about the joys and sometimes frustrations of computers. I do remember DOS but can't recall any of the commands. My first computer was made by a company no longer in business. I can remember how happy I was when it was delivered. I do not use any other social media other than blogging, which I sometimes have a love-hate relationship with but only because it can be hard to keep up with so many interesting people. I have never used Facebook, tried Instagram and didn't like it. Glad you are continuing with blogging because you were missed when you briefly were away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.